Unanswered: 2008 Management Studio - Cannot find server

Hi, I'm pretty new to SQL Management studio but as I was using an old version of MySQL, I thought I'd use something more up to date on my new server.

I've gone through user guides and troubleshooting and exhausted google, still no nearer to the solution.

I'm using Windows Server 2008 - IIS 8 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 with Management Studio.

When I open management studio it asks me for the Database Engine Server. I have tried (local), I've tried the server name and I've tried (Local)(Servername). When I search for the server locally and on the network it comes up with no results.

The server seems to be running, but I just cannot connect it to Management Studio. I'm working with an already completed database, all I need to do is get into it and run the necessary export-import script.

Can anybody help with this problem? I'm probably missing something quite simple but I have exhausted every other option and have no choice but to ask you all.

Have you tried registering the SQL Server instance? Can you ping the server? If so then try using the IP address or domain name (server.mycompany.com).

Provided Answers: 54
    Is there any chance that the SQL Service is stopped or that the machine is not turned on when you're trying to connect to it? I ask because I had a client that was complaining mightily that they couldn't connect to their SQL Server yesterday, and I discovered that the machine was powered off!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

No, it's running on the same machine.

The weird thing is, MySQL found the server instantly.

I think I'm on the right track now. There should be SQL Server services available when SQL server is installed but there aren't any, not sure why or how to install then desperately?

Seperately*

No problem! Just go through the SQL Server install again and choose to install the SQL Server components.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Still no luck I'm afraid, I've attached some screenshots.

No matter what version I install, I select every possible component and service and this is what I get.

In configuration I only have a database and no server, when I try to connect to this database engine I get either a pipeline 40 error, then when I add an instance such as database name or "SQLEXPRESS" it just says it cannot be found.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen shot 1.jpg   Shot 2.jpg  
    Last edited by Diasflac; 07-21-13 at 09:00.

can you please share the method how you are installing the SQL server 2008. I think you are missing on something.

Provided Answers: 11
    The service highlighted is the SQL Server Volume Shadow ...er...service? The relevant part is that it is used to help backup databases. What you need to install is the Database Engine.

Also, MySQL and SQL Server are two rather separate products. The tools for each will probably not communicate with the other.

edit: It is actually the Volume Shadow copy Service.

Just to update, the issue is resolved.

Seems you have to install SQL server seperately to Management Studio, once I installed SQL Server then management studio, the whole thing worked.

There should be SQL Server services available when SQL server is installed but there aren't any, not sure why or how to install then desperately?

Quote Originally Posted by sbglobal79 View Post
    There should be SQL Server services available when SQL server is installed but there aren't any, not sure why or how to install then desperately?
    Without knowing a great deal more about your problem and your level of experience, there isn't a simple answer.

What have you done? What have you checked/tested? What were the test results? What version of SQL are you trying to run? What Operating System is the host machine running?

As one of the other DBForums users sig line reads: "It's broke" is not a problem definition!

-PatP