Unanswered: How to filer a Union Query

Evening All

I have created a union query following instruction which works correct, but have no knowlege of SQL and want to be able to filter the results from the query from a form. Which has two text boxes Start Date and End Date. and a button which I persume would just use the docmd to open a form and the filtering is completed within SQL

Can any one point me in the right direction on how to complete this task

Thank you

This is the cirrent SQL

SELECT [Fire Alarm Report].Date AS [Date], [Fire Alarm Report].[Time Fire Alarm Reported] AS [Time Reported], [Fire Alarm Report].[Time of Arrival], [Fire Alarm Report].Location, [Fire Alarm Report].[Attended By], [Fire Alarm Report].[Incident Type] AS [Incident Description], [Fire Alarm Report].[Cause of Activation] AS [Detailed Description]
    FROM [Fire Alarm Report]
    Union All
    SELECT [Incident Report].[Date of Incident], [Incident Report].[Time Incident Reported], [Incident Report].[Time of Arrival], [Incident Report].Location, [Incident Report].[Attended By], [Incident Report].[Type of Incident], [Incident Report].[Incident Summary]
    FROM [Incident Report]
    Union All
    SELECT Lockouts.Date, Lockouts.[Lockout Reported At], Lockouts.[Time of Arrival], Lockouts.Location, Lockouts.[Attended By], Lockouts.[Incident Type], Lockouts.[Room Number]
    FROM Lockouts
    UNION ALL SELECT [Intruder Alarm Report].Date, [Intruder Alarm Report].[Time Intruder Alarm Reported], [Intruder Alarm Report].[Time of Arrival], [Intruder Alarm Report].Location, [Intruder Alarm Report].[Attended By], [Intruder Alarm Report].[Incident Type], [Intruder Alarm Report].[Cause of Activation]
    FROM [Intruder Alarm Report]
    ORDER BY Date;

Well you could just wrap the entire union query in a select then do a typical where useing your text boxes to do a like with if not useing a specific list of values.

I personally would do the above this way for ease not efficency(Not knowing how your skill is.)
    1. Select * from SELECT [Fire Alarm Report].Date AS [Date], [Fire Alarm Report].[Time Fire Alarm Reported] AS [Time Reported], [Fire Alarm Report].[Time of Arrival], [Fire Alarm Report].Location, [Fire Alarm Report].[Attended By], [Fire Alarm Report].[Incident Type] AS [Incident Description], [Fire Alarm Report].[Cause of Activation] AS [Detailed Description]
    FROM [Fire Alarm Report]
    Union All
    SELECT [Incident Report].[Date of Incident], [Incident Report].[Time Incident Reported], [Incident Report].[Time of Arrival], [Incident Report].Location, [Incident Report].[Attended By], [Incident Report].[Type of Incident], [Incident Report].[Incident Summary]
    FROM [Incident Report]
    Union All
    SELECT Lockouts.Date, Lockouts.[Lockout Reported At], Lockouts.[Time of Arrival], Lockouts.Location, Lockouts.[Attended By], Lockouts.[Incident Type], Lockouts.[Room Number]
    FROM Lockouts
    UNION ALL SELECT [Intruder Alarm Report].Date, [Intruder Alarm Report].[Time Intruder Alarm Reported], [Intruder Alarm Report].[Time of Arrival], [Intruder Alarm Report].Location, [Intruder Alarm Report].[Attended By], [Intruder Alarm Report].[Incident Type], [Intruder Alarm Report].[Cause of Activation]
    FROM [Intruder Alarm Report]
    ORDER BY Date) as Data

Then on a button when you click on it it will look at the data in the box and apply a filter by using the On Click Event.

me.form.filter = "[Column to filter on] between '" & me.TextBox1.value & "'" and '" & me.TextBox2.value & "'"
    Me.form.filterOn = true

This is just a quick awnser seeing no one got around to it yet. but its a start for you! Might have to change the single quotes and stuff only because it might be diffrent for dates. I am sure some of the more usual experts will be able to give you a better solution but this should work in the interim.
    Last edited by jblanch8; 07-22-13 at 16:40.

Provided Answers: 6
    Alternatively, base a second form on the union query and use this method to open it:

Open a second form to the record
    Paul