Unanswered: Tell two different tables they really contain the same data

I'm not sure how to ask this....

I have tables A & B. Both contain a Name field, however, data was entered into table A as "SMITH, J" and table B as "John Smith".

Is there a way to make access recognize the two are the same? I do not have the option of changing one or the other's spelling.

Feeling sheepish!

In front of the computer
    Provided Answers: 54
    The easiest way would be to add a new column to table A and fill it with unique data, then add a similar column to the table B and put the value from table A into the matching rows in Table B. This adds data to the tables, but doesn't change any of the existing data.

In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

So basically, add a column to table A with say "A" beside SMITH, J, "B" beside JONES, A, and to table B with "A" beside John Smith? "B" beside Allan Jones? Will give it a try and reply.

Yesterday I was thinking, however, in code....for some reason I was trying to figure out a way to tell it that one is the same as the other, possibly similar to VLOOKUP in excel - if you see this, put that. It is possible, no?

You're way will be much less painful.