Provided Answers: 5

Unanswered: capturing Digi pad signatures for signing forms

I need to make this as simple and cost effective as Possible.
    1. Scenario: Customer comes into a shop andneeds service and repairs. Clerk takes down all information in an Access form , prints the copy for the Customer - but In addition Client wants the Custome to sign a "digi-pad" to capture that physical signature so the next time form is printed - the signature is on the form.

Methods - this is the methos i would prefer to use - but I do not know the manufacturers for the device.
    I need a simple digipad that when the client signs the pad with the pen - they "tap" Ok and that file (bmp, jpg, tiff, what ever) is saved to a default folder.

After clicking the "OK" btn the procedure will get that default file name in that default folder -
    rename it to the customer ID and doc no and then save it to a secure folder on thenetwork

On the form itself is a an unbound image control that when that form is open fo that client the the image control is filled with the file that is saved on network.

That is the easiest way - I know how to code for all of this (file system object, etc)

My problem is that I do not know what inexpensive hardware is out there that will do the signature and simply save it as a file.

Client has an "e-pad" from InterLink but they want you to use the addin for word or PDF format, and there is no default file name created or folder where a copy of the signature goes - they are hellbent like other manufacturers on embedding the signature in a specific file.

Any suggestions on a piece of hardware that will do this out of the box - would be greatly appreciated.

Again - I am not looking to embed the file into the Db Container and i am not trying to embed the signature in a third party app (Word , excel, Adobe) and retrieve that Doc. i just want to save a signature to a file and call that file to fill my unbound image control when I retrieve the data record.
    Dale Houston, TX

Provided Answers: 6
    Since nobody has answered, I'll throw in my experience. I have a couple of signature pads from Topaz. They had a sample db and an ActiveX control that allows me to save the signature as part of the data. It uses a memo field and saves a long alphanumeric string that it somehow interprets as a signature. I know you said you didn't want to embed a file in the db, but this isn't a file, it's just data. I've had them in operation for years, so I can't say if they still offer products that integrate with Access, but I thought I'd throw it out there in case you're interested.
    Paul

i am going to look at it this evening - I posted a thread concerning trying to use a 20033 default theme instead of the useless 2010 - wnat to take a stab at that one? LOL

Thank you for the fed back on the Topaz. Quick question - when you retriev that record the signature look sjust like the the persons signature - even if you resize the control down the road?
    Dale Houston, TX

Provided Answers: 6
    To be honest I've never resized the control. It certainly looks the same in my app. I also print them on a report. The data just looks like:

A021A01FF06F612ED19ED19F016F410F60AFC0105EF11

only a lot longer, so I'm nor sure if resizing the control would matter. I'll try to play with it later today.
    Paul

thank you - going to research Topaz today
    Dale Houston, TX