Unanswered: ODBC Connection Error

Hey everyone!

I was wondering if anyone can help me out with something. My company is using remote servers and we’re having a challenging time making an ODBC connection with MS SQL on the remote server. There is a lot of information out there, but it’s hard to find something specific to our situation.
    Here’s what I’m doing:
    1. Going to ODBC Data Source Administrator
    2. Clicking “Add…” to Create a New Data Source
    3. Scroll down to “SQL Server” and select
    4. Click on “Finish”
    5. I create Name and Description for the data source and then I input the IP address of the server
    6. I click “Finish” and then select “Test Data Source”
    This is the result:

Microsoft SQL Server ODBC Driver Version 06.01.7601
    Running connectivity tests...
    Attempting connection
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed. The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication.
    TESTS FAILED!

So I go back again and do the following:
    1. Going to ODBC Data Source Administrator
    2. Clicking “Add…” to Create a New Data Source
    3. Scroll down to “SQL Server” and select
    4. Click on “Finish”
    5. I create Name and Description for the data source and then I input the IP address of the server
    6. I click “Next”
    7. Select “With SQL Server authentication using a login ID and password entered by the user.”
    8. Below I type in the LoginID and Password.
    9. I click “Next”
    The result:

Connection failed:
    SQLState: ‘28000’
    SQL Server Error: 18456
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Login failed for user ‘usernamegoeshere’.

Can someone describe to me what I need to do in simple terms as I am somewhat new to this.

Hi,

When you say remote, are we talking within the same subnet or something like over the internet/VPN.

1) Is there a reason for using ODBC to connect to SQL server. why don't you use sql native client drivers ? Install sql client to get sql native drivers.

2) I presume your server is set to mix mode authentication to allow windows and sql logins to connect.

3) port 1433 is open between the two and not blocked by a firewall.

Thong

ODB Connection Error

When you say remote, are we talking within the same subnet or something like over the internet/VPN.
    yes, actually Amazon VM

Is there a reason for using ODBC to connect to SQL server. why don't you use sql native client drivers ? Install sql client to get sql native drivers.
    This option is one of many.

I presume your server is set to mix mode authentication to allow windows and sql logins to connect.
    yes Windows and SQL

port 1433 is open between the two and not blocked by a firewall.
    correct it is open and also UDP 1434

Sorry, have not used cloud computing before but here is Microsoft solution.

4. Extending your On-premises Database Applications to Windows Azure Virtual Machines

To extend your on-premises applications to an application running in a Windows Azure Virtual Machine you can take advantage of the new Windows Azure Virtual Network feature that allows you to securely domain join your Windows Azure network running the VM to your on premise network. This allows you to have seamless authentication for your end user with your existing on premises Active Directory identity store. This scenario lets you take advantage of the global reach and cost effectiveness of Windows Azure while still being able to comply with any local, industry or corporate data compliance laws.

Here are the steps to extend an application:

Step 1: You can provision a VPN connection between on-prem and Windows Azure using Windows Azure Virtual Network. Then you need to provision a new virtual machine using one of the stock SQL Server images using the Windows Azure Preview Portal.
    Step 2: You can then use SQL Server Data Tools to modify applications to point to SQL Server in a Windows Azure Virtual Machine. Then you can create a database deployment package using SQL Server Management Studio for the on-prem database(s) or use Database Export/Import Wizard to move the database(s) to SQL Server in a Windows Azure Virtual Machine.
    Step 3: You need to configure security on both the Windows Azure Preview Portal endpoint as well as setting an inbound port in the virtual machine’s Windows Firewall. Then you can import the database(s) using the deployment package or using Database Export/Import Wizard.
    Step 4: Once you have done that, you can monitor the virtual machine using the Windows Azure Preview Portal and monitor the SQL Server application using SQL Server Management Studio.