Unanswered: lookup returning users

I want to collect survey data for patients who visit our practice each time they come. How do I set up a form (or forms) such that patients can input their first name, last name and birthday and then all their other demographic data gets automatically populated (gender, contact info, etc) if they are return users, but if they are new users the demographic data is blank? There is very little demographic data so i didn't bother splitting into two tables - all data is saved to:
    tablename: patientVisit
    fields:
    patientFirstName
    patientLastName
    patientBirthday
    visitDate
    f1
    f2
    fn

Hi tamarb, not sure I'm the best person to answer this, but your current set up seems very duplicitous. I would be more inclined to set up 2 tables. The first table would have the the patient demographic details (name, DOB etc) - any information which is unlikley to change between visits. The second table would have the visit details. I would then set up a form (or whatever works for you) which asks the user to enter their user ID (could be their name or a patient ID number - ID works better as multiple people can have the same name) and the date of the visit (although you can set this to automatically populate with the current date). You would obviously need a form which allows new users to be entered into the system, I would also include the visit form as a sub form here to save a step.

Whenever you need to use the data you could create a query or a report to identify the information you are looking for. Provided the primary key in the first table is used as a foreign key in the second table you shouldn't have any issues.

Provided Answers: 1
    You want two tables: "Patients" and "Visits". Link them through the patient "ID" (the autonumber used for each patient). Easiest way to get the return patient each time is to search through a combo box (set up by patient last, then first name). Call up the "patient record", and have a button called "add a visit". Have another button (with the combo box?) called "new patient".

Quote Originally Posted by tamarb View Post
    I want to collect survey data for patients who visit our practice each time they come. How do I set up a form (or forms) such that patients can input their first name, last name and birthday and then all their other demographic data gets automatically populated (gender, contact info, etc) if they are return users, but if they are new users the demographic data is blank? There is very little demographic data so i didn't bother splitting into two tables - all data is saved to:
    tablename: patientVisit
    fields:
    patientFirstName
    patientLastName
    patientBirthday
    visitDate
    f1
    f2
    fn