Unanswered: Is it worth using diverse database replication?

Hi everyone,

I carry out university research and at the moment I am working on a technology of diverse database replication. I believe the solution is going to change the world of data reliability, but I would love to hear an opinion on the technology from the people who actually deal with bugs and server crashes in a realistic world every day.

If you are still reading this I assume you are willing to help me understand whether there is any value in the solution. The main idea is the protocol for replication of data in two completely diverse databases - PostgreSQL and Firebird. Comparing to "lazy" replication done by Oracle or MS SQL, this technology has been tested to provide full 100% protection against both 'fail-stop' (crash of database) and 'non-fail-stop' faults.

Based on your experience, is this improvement really needed, or current diagnostic tools do their job pretty well?

I would be VERY GRATEFUL to share a bit more information with those of you willing to contribute and discuss what you think on the applicability of this research. Looking forward to hearing from some of you!
    Last edited by natahen; 08-01-13 at 15:33. Reason: better wording

My response may be too simple or glib, if so, sorry about that.

I think you need to look at both your database systems and figure out what replication techniques along with how to do restores each uses. In theory and with enough knowledge of how any database works internally, you could write a program to perform moving the data from one to another in any direction. That could be something much easier to do with Postgresql or any other open source product. I'm assuming that the "lazy" replication mentioned for Oracle and MS SQL just means that the replication is asynchronous. Depending on how much asynchronous behavior you would permit, this sounds quite reasonable.
    --
    Jay

Provided Answers: 54
    Microsoft supports three replication models and log shipping. Oracle supports three major classes for a total of five models (one class only support synchronous replication). Which of the models are you comparing against? In which sense are you using the adjective "Lazy" and how does your replication scheme avoid the laziness? I'm quite curious about what you are describing.

A few of my clients use PostgreSQL, but not even one uses FireBird. If you intend to support other database engines such as MariaDB, or better still Oracle or Microsoft then your research might be useful to me.

At least at this stage, your research appears to be academically interesting but practically/professionally useless to me. I'm interested in what you are researching, but don't have any way to put it to use.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.