Question Unanswered: Federation on DB2 with Oracle

Hi Folks,

I have a Db2 environment Federated with Oracle, we face more of issues where the connections come in from application and it becomes stale connections .It grows and grows till we bounce the database.

Db2 : V9.7 FP7
    Oracle: 11g release 2

If you can help me to find the best practices for troubleshooting or tuning this.
    Thanks
    - Ananth
    DB2 DBA LUW
    "coming second, just means you are the first loser"

Provided Answers: 1
    Connections from what to what?
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

sorry for very late response...

the connection is from application to db2. And db2 is federated with oracle.
    we have the wrapper and nicknames created in db2.

The problem we face is lot of connection happen on db2, but we could see the state as UOW Executing, but i don see any progress on fetching/inserting.

The number of connection in such stale state is very high... some times it crosses 1000.

We are unable to force/kill those applications. So every we had to bounce the database instance.

1 error we get frequently during that time is " db2fmp threads initialization started".

If any of you can show any light this would be helpful.. last 1 month we are fishing with PMR team but they are unable to get to the root cause.
    - Ananth
    DB2 DBA LUW

Provided Answers: 1
    Did you check for lock waits? Do some/all of those executing connections also establish connections to the remote Oracle database?

Quote Originally Posted by alwayssathya View Post
    1 error we get frequently during that time is " db2fmp threads initialization started".
    Doesn't sound like an error to me. Where do you get this "error" message?

Determine what statements are executed by the "hanging" applications and try to execute them manually to monitor their behaviour.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

statements executing are mostly select that is hanging, and when the number of hanging connection increase, we get this fmp error in diag.log.

when i try to do db2fodc -hang my connection which are hanging are all killed. And its back to normal. but again it (new appl) goes back to same kind of state in some time.
    Last edited by alwayssathya; 08-22-13 at 04:31. Reason: already provided
    - Ananth
    DB2 DBA LUW