Unanswered: Data Type Number Quick Question

I currently have a table with numbers for example 101000, 104000, 104053, etc all with 6 digits. But my company now is starting to get 5 digit numbers for example 86954, 10948 etc. and it's causing an issue in my database.

Whenever I changed the Data Type from Number to Text ALL my numbers that are 5 digits are disappearing from my table, but the 6 digit numbers are remaining. Is there any way to get around this and still keep my 6 digit and 5 digit numbers on the same table?

Lastly, is there a reason why if a Data Type field is shown as a Number it will not display a 0 in front for example: 095868.

Thanks, for any help that can be provided.

Provided Answers: 59
    in this instance the correct datatype is probably text/string. its a bit like phone numbers

what you could do is continue to use a numeric froamt but display usign a format rule

eg
    format(mycolumn,"000000")
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 19
    As to the first part of your problem

Quote Originally Posted by DrewMan View Post

...Whenever I changed the Data Type from Number to Text ALL my numbers that are 5 digits are disappearing from my table...
    This is not normal behavior, and I cannot replicate it. Changing a Field from a Text to a Number Datatype would cause you to lose data for any Record that had non-numeric characters in that Field, but the opposite is not true! And even then, the Access Gnomes would pop a message warning you of this loss. I'd create a new, blank file and Import everything into it. This often resolves strange, odd and curious behavior, which this definitely is!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007