Unanswered: DB2 ETL sizing - best practices

Hello Guys,

I am looking for some advice here

I have a couple of tables that I need to extract from one data source to another data source nightly on the same environment.

Some of the tables will grow and other's wont.

I am not sure whether I should use the general insert into select statement or whether I should use an export db2 command.

Is their any documentation on what is the best practice ?

Example of table sizes attached in pdf

Thanks in advance
    Attached Files Attached Files

Is it a one time activity or a daily excercise. Do you want to automate it ?

you can use load command if you want to write some script for the same and data is very large otherwise insert into select statement is also not bad if you need to transfer few rows..

It will be done every night for the forseeable future
    It will also be automated.

So I would use insert select for tables that have few rows and use the extract load command for large data sets ?

yeah coz insert into statement and load give the same performance for few thousand of data. but if data is large then using load command would be a better option.

Forgot to mention that the potential large datasets have images associated with them, so I dont think exporting to a csv file would work ?

Hi,

you could use Federation and load from cursor.

Or you export into a Pipe and zip it from there. Load the other way: Unzip to pipe and load from pipe.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by alexandra123 View Post
    Forgot to mention that the potential large datasets have images associated with them, so I dont think exporting to a csv file would work ?
    It would, if you use the LOBSINFILE modifier.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Hi alexandra123,

If the tables/source files which you were loading is big then you can use the not logged initially option at table level so that rows will be directly inserted into the pages instead of normal sql inserts. It will speed up your insert. But make sure you will be not be able to recover incase of any interrupt. For that you need to first turn off the autocommit off(+c).
    1. Prepare your insert statement and put into a file and mention the commit statement after the insert . Note all your data will be pushed to hard disk at the final step. So the commit would take long. This is the fastest way of loading.

If you want more info, search with alter table not logged initially in publib boulder.

Thanks,
    SantoshMaturi

You know that you can start using the new INGEST feature for free just by installing a db2v10-client?
    Introduction to the DB2 Continuous Data Ingest feature
    Somewhere between " too small" and " too large" lies the size that is just right.
    - Scott Hayes