Thread: PM from aginc

Provided Answers: 54

Unanswered: PM from aginc

I got a PM about 13 hours ago from the DBForums user named aginc. That PM read:
    Quote Originally Posted by aginc
    TO: all experienced users of Brilliant Database version-8
    Urgently, need your help for my associate who is so frustrated and disappointed with support@brilliantdatabase.com who has not replied at all to our request for help as we could not open our data files anymore with this error messages :
    Run-time error 62:
    Input past end of file
    Looking forward to your sympathy to help us, urgently. Thank You !

Note : Totally unable to open file at all ! Need help urgently.
    While I don't know a great deal about the Brilliant Database application, I do understand aginc's frustration.

If you can help, please do so here in the forum. Having thousands of private discussions puts a huge load on DBForums, and helps only the few people involved in those discussions. Having a public discussion is much less load, and it helps everyone.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Version 8 - bad idea, rubbish version at all
    I know this error.

Please tell him:
    Try to reinstall Brilliant Database. You must delete all Program and Data folders. One is under users - you user name - application data - brilliant....... Reinstall only after deletion of all folders.

If it does not help only Mikhail could help. But I am not sure if he could help.

If you use 8 in Multi user environement this could happen by an unstable network.

In single user this could happen if you have your file on a network path.

Best would be to use a backup...

Provided Answers: 17
    I got that PM too.
    I'm getting very annoyed by Brilliant Database as a company. It's actually ignorant to treat their customers as they do.

Version 9.42 is the only version anyone should really be using right now. Again, this is unacceptable as many of us dropped many hundereds of dollars on v10 which is unusable.

Anyway.......the problem at hand.
    This guy can't even open the file, so what I've said to him is to create a new default / empty database. Then he can try use the Import/Prase to sync with his damaged database.

Taking this approach oddly enough gets you past many header errors and gives you the opertunity to import the forum types and then the records from the damaged file into your empty database.

It's not guaranteed to work, but it does have a good success rate for me in the past. So much so I've used this method to save all the data than turning to nightly backups the server does.

Either way, Golden Rule number 1 for all users of Brilliant Database. Always build an auto backup function into your databases.

Regards
    James

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubbritt View Post
    I got that PM too.
    I'm getting very annoyed by Brilliant Database as a company. It's actually ignorant to treat their customers as they do.
    Amen to that idea. This really is a poor way to treat your customers, but I see so many small companies with great ideas that treat their customers this way. It seems to be a common "growing pain" amongst entrepreneur-run companies, at least until they build a support staff to insulate the customer from these problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubbritt View Post
    Either way, Golden Rule number 1 for all users of Brilliant Database. Always build an auto backup function into your databases.
    And amen to this point too! No matter what kind of app, process, etc. In the IT world, the administrator can't sleep on nights that they don't get a good backup (no matter what the product or products might be)!

As a side note, forums are important for just about every kind of technology. It doesn't matter how smart or experienced a given user might be, a group of users is always more powerful, capable, etc. When you hit a problem, having a place where you can find a few folks to air a gripe, get an idea, or just mumble incoherently for a few minutes and get some useful feedback is a godsend.

This is true regardless of the scale of your product... There aren't a lot of Paradox users anymore, but the ones that come to DBForums need a place. There are a bunch of users of DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, etc. and they need a place. I go out of my way to build SharePoint sites for the products that my clients build and use internally, to create ways for their "power users" to share information... Then I ask their developers and administrators questions about what I see in those discussions and watch for to appear!

Businesses should support their customers, but they don't always. Customers can often support other customers better than the business can. People helping people is a concept that is far from dead!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

This kind of error happened to one of my clients. In this case I sent Mikhail and he managed to return the data in an excel spreadsheet. It was better than nothing.
    I insist on sending the database to him (is a better option). Although we must not forget that backup is the obligation of the user.

- Christian
    Last edited by sgarbi; 08-19-13 at 11:35. Reason: Correct name