Unanswered: resurrecting Old informix instant

I am really new to this informix and running IDS 7.3 on a SCO 5.4

we are having a ole informix instant which we did not used for a long time and and there is change request from one of our customer and forced to resurrect this instant.

On this machine there has been a hd failure and was replaced with a new one loosing root dbspace. I dont need to recover any of the databases but if some one can give me some help on host reinitialize (start from the beginning with out reinstalling) everything and start new would be appreciated

Thanks and Regads

Provided Answers: 1
    Hi prof,

If I understand correctly, the server is working, had a disk changed,you have the software binaries, and you don't care about the data? right ?

You want to reinitialize the instance, ie you will get a brand new instance, losing the database contents, are we ok with that ?

Do you have a backup done with ontape or onbar?
    If yes, just check that the listed chucks exist with the right permissions(see below)
    and run ontape -r
    and follow the instructions

Else, to proceed:
    1) find the $INFORMIXDIR/etc/$ONCONFIG file. You cannot start IDS without this file
    2) in this file, the ROOTPATH variable will indicate the full path of the root dbspace. Check that this path exists and has the following permissions:
    owner and group must be informix informix
    permissions MUST BE EXACTLY 660
    3) You instance probably had more dbspaces and chunks. The only way to find them is to look for files or raw devices owned by informix/informix and having 660 permissions. You will be able to recreate them after
    4) once you satisfy 1 and 2, just run oninit -i, reply Y to the question if you want to reinitialize.
    At this time, informix will create a brand new rootdbs and when you get the prompt, you should be in quiescent mode ( or OnLine, don't remember).
    check this by typing onstat - and see the displayed line, on the right

If you want to intend recreating the other dbspaces, check the point 3, and create the new dbspaces with the onspaces -c -d ....... command

And if everything runs ok, you will have a brand new instance

For safety in the future, you may want to install a free "modern" version on a linux box, will will let your mind more peaceful :-)
    Check here for free of charge licenses for IBM Informix
    I would pick Innovator-C (for production) or developper ( for development)

Regards
    E.

Solved

Hi begooden-it,

Thank you for the reply and your instruction worked instant up and running

If I understand correctly, the server is working, had a disk changed,you have the software binaries, and you don't care about the data? right ? => yes

You want to reinitialize the instance, ie you will get a brand new instance, losing the database contents, are we ok with that ? => yes

Do you have a backup done with ontape or onbar? => yes

Best Regards

Provided Answers: 1
    My pleasure :-)

I think you might or You want to reinitialize the example, i.e you will get a product new example, dropping the data source material, are you ok with that ?

marketing solutions
    Last edited by Steffanblue; 09-02-13 at 01:35.