Unanswered: Alter Table with Stored Procedure

I have the following procedure in which I attempt to query the system views to determine if a column exists within a table. If the column does not exist then it is added.

CREATE PROCEDURE PROD00016805_DDL ()
    RESULT SETS 1
    LANGUAGE SQL
    P1: BEGIN
    IF NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM SYSCOLUMNS WHERE TABLE_NAME = 'PFCOMAGTM' AND COLUMN_NAME = 'MAGTSTAT') THEN
    ALTER TABLE PFCOMAGTM ADD MAGTSTAT CHAR(10);
    END IF;
    END P1
    CALL PROD00016805_DDL;
    DROP PROCEDURE PROD00016805_DDL;

The procedure executes fine the first time but if I attempt to deploy it a second time I get the following failure:

Deploy GI35ILC.PROD00016805_DDL
    Running
    GI35ILC.PROD00016805_DDL - Deploy started.
    [SQL0612] MAGTSTAT is a duplicate column name.
    GI35ILC.PROD00016805_DDL - Deploy failed.
    GI35ILC.PROD00016805_DDL - Roll back completed successfully.

I realize that the column already exists but would have thought that the logic surrounding the alter table statement would prevent the error from being raised.

I am new to DB2 but I've done similar operations countless times in SQL Server and would have thought that taking a similar approach would work in DB2.

I really need a way that I can conditionally alter table structures as some clients may have already made the alteration while others may not have done so. This small unit of work would be part of a larger script that would be issued to all clients.

DB2 UDB for AS/400
    07.01.0000 V7R1m0
    AS/400 Toolbox for Java JDBC Driver
    Driver Version: 8.11

I have attempted deployment using IBM Data Studio 4.1 and IBM System i Navigator v6r1.

Thank you very much for your help.
    Ken

Issue Resolved

Well, sometimes a guy just has to make a fool out of himself before he sees the light. My issue was in the first three lines.

I changed...
    RESULT SETS 1
    LANGUAGE SQL

to..
    LANGUAGE SQL
    MODIFIES SQL DATA

Now the procedure can be recreated and executed multiple times without issue.