Urgent question about relationships between tables

Hi,

I have two tables: Wife and Husband. I know it's a one-to-one relationship because each wife can only have one husband. But in my tables, there are cases that the couples have divorced. And if the wife stays single, the "Status" field in the wife table will be "divorced" and in the "Spouse" field I will have the ex husband's name.

What is the best relationship to have between the two tables?

Thank you!

Can't same sex couples get married?
    George
    Home | Blog

Actually, my tables are named Member and Spouse. But to make my post as short as possible, i just siad Wife and Husband in my post.

This:
    "each wife can only have one husband."

Should this be this:
    "each wife can only have one current husband."

If so, this is not a 1:1 relationship.
    George
    Home | Blog

Correct, each wife can have one current husband. And if the wife doesn't remarry, she will not have a current husband. But I want to keep his info until the wife remarries.

Right now my fields for Wife table are:
    - husband name
    - status (spouse, ex-spouse, single)

So it's a many to one relationship?? (i'm confused now... )

I would only have one table Persons unless you have different information (columns) about Members and Spouses. It is very, very rare that keeping two tables with exactly the same attributes is a good idea.

I would then add another table to track relationships (marriages, civil unions, etc.) between persons. The Relationships table would include attributes like the initiator (presumably the husband) and the acceptor (presumably the wife) of the relationship, the dates that the relationship began and ended. When the end date is unknown, you can either leave it blank or set it to an "infinity" value.

This allows you to track serial relationships (such as remarriage of a person after a divorce or being widowed), multiple relationships (such as polygamous marriages), etc.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.