Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Loading a Combobox via an Enumeration

Greetings all,

I am new with enumerations, so be gentle...

I have an enumeration that lists types of cards and numeric values (called "cardType"). Our sailing school may soon have to validate credit cards, and I found a validation function on the Internet.

I have an enumeration declaration (eg. VISA = 33; MASTERCARD = 13) in a module (called mod_card_ck). I can call items from the declaration.

I am trying to load the combox thus on formload():

me. cboCard.datasource = System.emun.getvalues(getType(cardType))

Doesn't work (ms access 10 does not seem to recognize "datasource", and the combobox remains empty)

Tried the same with "rowsource". Combobox still won't load, though it recognized "rowsource")

Can't seem to find anything after hours on the net.

Help!

John S
    Aylmer, QC

Provided Answers: 59
    There's lots of credit card validators out there, I myself wrote one a while back in PHP
    Persoanlly I don't like enumerations, unless you know the full set of values at design time. I'd rather ALWAYS use a table to define these sort of things.

however I would caution you on using an Access db to store credit card information.. although its not impossible its very very tricky to adequately secure such data. I don't know what the legislation is in Canada but in the UK youd have all manner of potentail dataprotection issues.

You also may need to contact your bank to find out how they will let you handle credit cards. Virtually all UK Banks insist you use an intermediary to handle credti card payments for CNP (card holder niot present transactions. you jay well be better off using a website and handing off the actual payment to the intermediary). this has another advantage for the club that they do not ever hold security details so there is no exposure to fraud
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 1

Varia

Thanks for the response.

I appreciate; we avoid credit cards because they are so expensive. Actually, the REALLY important validator for us is social security numbers (which we need for Income Tax receipts). These we collect and keep in an encrypted database (nowhere near the Internet).

ENUMERATIONs are interesting animals. I am using getters and setters with pricing, and enumerations seem an attractive option for maintaining price lists (instead of java-like getters and setters).

John S