Provided Answers: 5

Unanswered: Linked excel files only allow for One user to View

I have 2 spreadsheets that I am linking to through Access. The form launches fine for viewing...if only one person wants to view. The minute a second user tries to open the form there is an error saying the the name of the file/table is already opened exclusively by another user.

I understand the concept d of the ISAM drivers and why Excel tables are not updatable via the standard link - but why can't more than one person view the datasheet?

I do not want to sound rude - but please do not suggest export/import , - These are dynamic files that get changed in the evening and I need them to be on-line in the morning with minimal interfacing for the client. I know you can launch the same file in excel from multiple workstations - you just get a message saying it is read only.

is there a setting in access or excel or different method to connect to the recordset to avoid this conflict?

Thank you in advance.
    Dale Houston, TX

Provided Answers: 19
    Is this Database split into a Front End/Back End configuration? Multiple users simply have to work off of a split database, with each user having their own copy of the Front End, which contains everything except the data/tables, on their respective hard drives, and a Back End with only the Tables on a shared drive. Not having the app split like this frequently results in just this type of problem with Tables, and I suspect that the same rule will apply to linking to Excel files which are on a shared drive.

Linq ;0)>
    Last edited by Missinglinq; 08-31-13 at 22:24.
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Provided Answers: 5
    Linq - Been doing this since version 1.0 in 1992 - I should have been more clear - yes it is split - I have discovered this is an excel issue
    Just like if you try to open a second session of an excel file - you will get a message that it is read only with the opportunity to continue - Access will do the same thing - BUT...will not allow you to continue.

The funny thing is - the link to excel is using ISAM drivers - which inherently makes the recordset read only any way.

I did successfully do a pseudo work around by creating a disconnected recordset using dao to minimize the time the excel file might be "locked" by a user - but this was not acceptable either because there were occasions that more than one user was trying to access the file.

I removed all "hitches" by taking that dynamic excel data and importing into a separate container every morning when the bullk of the other data is updated - I probably should have done that from the start - but I thought i could save time - but now it has taken more time LOL

Thank you for the response
    Dale Houston, TX