Thread: Excel to ???

Unanswered: Excel to ???

Hello
    I am very new to databases. I mean green newbie new. Any help or a point in the right direction would be helpful.
    I have a spreadsheet in Excel with a LOT of data. I would like to be able to run reports and view data in an individual record format. I would also like it to be available on a server that would allow simultaneous users to update the data. This also needs to be preferably free or very inexpensive with a free trial.
    Can Access handle simultaneous users? Any other suggestions?

Provided Answers: 54
    Access is a combination of a database engine along with a front end application. Depending on which version (2000, 2007, 2010, etc) and which Edition of Access you have the answer is maybe...

How many users do you have? How many of them already own a copy of MS-Access? Do you have a Local Area Network, or just a server? What Operating System is on your server?

We can certainly help you to find an answer, but we'll need more information than what you've provided so far!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 59
    Access using its default storage engine should be able to handle that sort of requirement easily. the only caveat is that it can start having issues with more than 15..30 concurrent users UNLESS its designed to do thatform the start.

The default storage mechanism can easily be repalced with a client server back end as opposed to s file server backend that the defautl uses.

Access doesn't work well on WAN's, it runs fine on LAN's.

If you dont' have copies of Access already then you can deploy the Access application using the free runtime environment

however I would caution you that:-
    the runtime environment used to be a pig to configure (it may not be now)
    developing an Access application for 50+ concurrent users can be a daunting task especially for new developers.

providing you go into the development with your eyes wide open there is no reason why you cannot use Access.

Outside of that if you are on a restricted budget then Open Office's Database offering may be an option, failing that using SQLite tied to some other front end development tool may be the best way to go. that front end could be anythign ranging from a compiled application (.NET, Delphi, C) or a web server based solution such as PHP, ASP and so on

the other free to develop / use environment is possibly JAVA, but again in my books not for the new developer
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Would SQL Server 2012 Express edition be an option?

It comes with many nice tools and the database size limit is probably big enough to store your excelsheet and many other sheets.

Check this page: Database System | Performance & Scalability | SQL Server Express Edition

Good luck.

Provided Answers: 59
    ...and the front should be?

The OP has got a two prong problem
    what to store the data in (so that one or more people can access it)
    what to manipulate and present the data in

undoubtedly SQL Server Express is a good suggestion to store the data, and do some of the manipulation, but its not a front end capable of generating reports, creating forms to edit data and so on.
    Last edited by healdem; 09-02-13 at 07:56.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Hi,

And that's why Microsoft made some tools freely available which you can get from their download center like, sql server management studio and visual studio express edition.

It's also possible to connect with Excel to sql server using an ODBC connection. When making use of this option you can store and retrieve data from sql server in- and out Excel, Word or Access and some other office applications.

So go check it out. Sql Server can be a great back-end for many desktop applications.

Kind regards,
    Marc.

Provided Answers: 54
    If someone can build an application using products like Excel or Word they are certainly not "Users" in my opinion, they are developers. If the application is even marginally useful, then they are darned good developers. While it is possible that a user can do this, the odds are not very good because the skill set that it requires is so far outside of the skill set needed by the average Excel user that it would be a once-in-a-lifetime fluke to find a user like that.

TheOneNOnlyQ realizes that they ought to use a database. That realization puts them in roughly the top one percent of the user community. If we could engage them in conversation we could probably find a good fit for their problem, but without that conversation all we can do is guess.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.