Database design help

Ok first off I want to stress that this is NOT an assigment question. I am posting this question beacuse I am not a database developer but I can admininster one at a basic level. I am a software developer and dont really have anyone at my work to leverage off for database related issues and Im thinking of a project where I develop a front end gui for users to manipulate scores for sporting events such as atheletics carnivals. As it stands this is currently done via manual data entry into excel spreadhseets where competitors names, their nominated events and scores are entered into a spreadsheet. From here normal excel filters are used to calculate winners of age groups, geners etc...

My question which I am hoping is simple for the experts out there is:
    I have identified four main entities which I think the database would need, competitiors, events, squads (with a competitor limit), scoresheets.

I need a database which holds information relating to the above entities.

For example a competitor registers and wants to take part in event 1 and 3. They are assigned into squad2 and a scoresheet with their name and events is able to printed for the judges.

I want to know the best way to design the database so that when a competitor registers and opts to take part in specific events, how are the other entities like squads populated?

Hope this makes sense to anyone who reads it.

Thanks

To get you started, consider that you will need "joining" tables. Per example, in your situation, a competitor can participate into many events and an event can have many competitors. You need a table to hold this information. This table could contain only the primary keys from competitors and events.

Ah ha yes, I remember those. After some more thought yesterday I thought that this was going to be necessary. Thanks for pointing me one step closer.