Unanswered: How to deal with huge Backup in production database

Hello friends,

i have got a new project but it seems quite impossible to me, so i want to ask you for any ideas how I can solve our problem with our DB2 Online productive database ...

Once a week we run a full online backup to TSM and this takes almost 18 hours ....

Are there any other possibilites than using a HADR ( too expensive ) or using delta Backups?

I am thankful for any answer.

DB_N00b

Provided Answers: 18
    depending on your hardware (i.e. your disk subsystems) is Flash-Copy (or vendor equivalent) an option ? Your storage people can help if you dont know what it means...

Provided Answers: 5
    log shipping with a database in roll forward pending? you take the one backup put it on another machine and keep applying the logs as the prod system is done with them? This way you have a back up machine that is never more than a log file behind your prod machine.

Provided Answers: 5
    forgot to ask, what is the back up command you are using? and how much data are we talking about? I've worked on some pretty big systems and we took no where near 18 hours to back it up. is there a bottle neck to your backup file location?

Is the backup image going to TSM disk or TSM tape? If TSM tape, It could be spending time waiting for tape.

Quote Originally Posted by DB_N00b View Post
    Are there any other possibilites than using a HADR ( too expensive )?
    Not sure why you think HADR is too expensive. Are you concerned about hardware or software?. For DB2 licenses, you only need 100 PVU's licensed on an HADR standby server (assuming there are no other HADR primary databases on the same server).
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390