Unanswered: Ordering by FIFO

I'd like to have my select statement spit out data in FIFO order, but don't know how to force that. Every time i change the order of column names in my select statement, my data comes out sorted by whichever is listed first, then by the next column, etc. I do not have a date entered/updated field and can't add it. IS there an ORDER BY command for this? Its like the system is doing more than I asked it to do!!

Provided Answers: 5
    First you need to understand that to a RDBMS that data has no inherent order. Selecting data without using ORDER BY allows the RDBMS to select the method it thinks is best to return the data. This means that even the exact same query can return data back in different order on different executions. If you always want data in the same order, then you have to tell the RDBMS by using ORDER BY. It is that simple.

If you do not have a column that allows you to order the result set in the order you prefer, then you are out of luck.

Andy

thanks. not what i wanted to hear, but i understand and appreciate your response.