Thread: Restore DB

Unanswered: Restore DB

Good afternoon I'm new to the forum would like a information the possibility of restoring a backup performed on OS windows server 2008 r2 OS on Linux?

Provided Answers: 54
    NOTE: I mistakenly read the original post as though it had said SQL Server 2008 R2 instead of Windows Server 2008 R2. I apologize for that mistake and the completely irrelevant answer that I provided because of it.

In a roundabout fashion you can do this, but probably not in a way that you'll find palatable.

Linux will run Oracle's Virtual Box or many of VMware's virtual products. These can host a copy of Microsoft Windows Server, which in turn can host SQL Server 2008 R2.

Other than that, I don't know of any way to restore a SQL Server backup onto a Linux host.

As a separate question, if someone can/will export the schema and the data from the SQL Server database then that is another question. It is highly probable that if someone will do that for you that you can host the resulting schema/data on Linux. Depending on what SQL Server features are used, that might be enough.

-PatP
    Last edited by Pat Phelan; 09-09-13 at 18:26.
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by admlinux View Post
    Good afternoon I'm new to the forum would like a information the possibility of restoring a backup performed on OS windows server 2008 r2 OS on Linux?
    Can you eloborate more on what you are looking for?

You should be able to restore the database using the regular backup and restore commands

You cannot restore a DB2 backup taken on a Windows machine to a Linux machine. You will have to:
    • get schema definition from old machine using db2look command
    • create new schema using db2look output (modified for Linux file paths if necessary). I assume new db is already created on Linux box.
    • export data with "db2move export"
    • file transfer db2move output to Linux box
    • load data to new database using "db2move load"

Consult the DB2 Command Reference Manual for more information on these commands.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390