Unanswered: To load unicoded language data in table using db2

Hello,

I get the data in 2 languages one in simplified chinese and the other is traditional chinese,so i want to store the data in excel in such a way that it would be stored in that format and at the same time i want to load this data in the db2 table also in both the chinese language, so could you please suggest me a way to do it????

Provided Answers: 11
    create an utf-8 database and use graphic vargraphic as datatype
    see also
    http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../c0004821.html
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

The problem is with storing the data in files, and then loading the same unicoded data in db2 table in the same language format ,in which the data is coming,so please help me to find a way to do this.

Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..

Thanks for the reply, but i want to load multilanguage data by using a file, how would i store the data file into the table or what would be the type of file by which i can store.???

as long as the file is created correctly you could import/load the file in table
    del-ixf are supported by db2
    be more specific when describing a problem/question ..

my database is in db2 9.7 version. it is created in the english (US ) system locale, and having ASCII encoding scheme, now i want to load the chinese data by using a flat file or some other format so that i could load the same data as in the file,so what would be the codepage of the file and my database table so that i would be able to store the chinese names.????

Provided Answers: 18
    It is easier to manipulate Chinese characters with SQL if you create a new database with the default encoding UTF-8.

Once you create your UTF-8 encoded database, and create your target tables in that database, you can copy data from the old existing database (which has the wrong encoding for real multi-lingual operations), you can then load (or import) from utf-8 encoded flat files into your utf-8 encoded database.

Keep in mind that you must consider also the application-layer (not only the database layer) because the application-layer must also be configured for (and designed for) variable-length-encoding systems like utf-8.

Other encodings (such as fixed length encodings) are possible but give less flexibility, or use more storage than utf-8. But in both cases the data-layer and the application-layer has to cope with non-ASCII characters correctly.