Question Unanswered: How to select more than one folder?

Would like to search records in more than one folders at the same time. Any idea how can we select the required folders(with or without its sub folders) for search and display the results in a query window or list of records.

I have a record set and I would like to search within that record set and display the resultant records to the user for them to work further. Any help?

Provided Answers: 2
    Hi
    As far as I am aware you can only query one particular record type at a time but in multiple folders (ie top folder "root").
    As far as a sub query on a record set, would be possible to add the original criteria to the new criteria to get the required data set for processing. That is a multi-line query with an "and" between lines? You may need to store your search criteria in variables to save double input but should be straight forward.

David

Quote Originally Posted by tamcind View Post
    Hi
    As far as I am aware you can only query one particular record type at a time but in multiple folders (ie top folder "root").
    David
    Yes David you are right, only one type of records one can search in multiple folders(through folder and its sub folders in the query or through FIND). In my work environment I have so many sub-folders for the main folder. Hence it takes a lot of time to execute the search.To avoid this I would like to give the option to the users to select their preferred folders for search.

Hi
    As far as a sub query on a record set, would be possible to add the original criteria to the new criteria to get the required data set for processing. That is a multi-line query with an "and" between lines? You may need to store your search criteria in variables to save double input but should be straight forward.
    David
    Thank you David.
    One can use the query editor only if the records are stored in a folder or "folder variable". Other recordset variables are not accepted in the query editor.Hence if we want to use native query editor we have to 'move' the recordset records to a temporary folder.This will complicate the issue as the recordset records are fetched from different folders.

However we can do it in a different way using "Filter another recordset" variable. But my concern is after filtering how do we display the filtered recordset to the users for their further work processing."Show message" does not help us much.

Provided Answers: 2
    Would copies of same query for each folder (or group) work? User could select required query or a script could make it conditional.

Would copies of same query for each folder (or group) work? User could select required query or a script could make it conditional.
    Yes same query for each folder/ My database size is of 45GB and have more than 1 million records. I have more than 90 sub folders which also has second level sub-folders under the root folder.Hence in the network while searching for the first time it takes a lot of time(second time a lot better if you did not close the database).What I want is user select the folders what they want for search while executing script or query so that the search is minimum. The main problem is how to display the resultant recordset if it is out of query result. Otherwise the query has to accept the any recordset variable for search. A screenshot of my folder structure is enclosed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails folder structure.png