Thread: Data Corruption

Unanswered: Data Corruption

Has anyone ever had the database get corrupted but can't figure out what is causing the problem. Every once and a while i'll have one of the records get corrupted and the data in that record will have mostly Asian characters (don't know if it's Chinese, Japanese, or what) with some random ?<>?:!@#$ characters mixed in. This corrupted records will crash any queries or macros that run that access that data. You can't delete the record nor can you change any of the data in it that record through normal methods. I can do a " Compact and Repair" the database, delete the record, and all will function perfectly until the corruption occurs again. Does anyone have any insight as to why this is happening with a possible solution. Attached a pdf of the data in question.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Provided Answers: 59
    This sort of corruption is not unknown
    Have you split the db between a back end containing the data and a front end containing the user interface (forms and reports). And if you have do you have a separate front end per desktop / user.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

The database is split. Each use is setup with a shortcut that run a VB script that a copies the front end to their local machine and runs from there. So i can make changes and updates without having every use close their databases. I have 2 other separate databases running in this same fashion that have run flawlessly for the last 5 years (knock on wood) and they are far more complicated with 40k records each. I'm not really sure of what causes this so it's hard to do any root cause analysis.

Provided Answers: 19
    Pinpointing the cause of corruption is one of the great mysteries of Access! Is it the same Record each time? If so, how does the data differ from non-corrupted Records? Is the Record in question entered by a given user?

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

It is not the same record. At least i don't think it is, after the data becomes corrupted it's basically just gibberish, so i can't even be sure if its the same record or not. The pdf i attached in the initial post shows the table with the corrupted record along with a half a dozen good records. Data that impacts this table is entered through multiple forms, queries, and modules. If i had an idea of what causes this kind of data corruption i might could nail down what the cause is. The affected table is main data source for the entire database so every user accesses it very frequently. If there is any questions i can answer about the structure of this database that might spark an idea of what the problem is i'm more than willing.

Provided Answers: 19
    As I said before, pinpointing the cause of corruption is very hard, if not impossible to do. Here are a few of articles by Allen Browne that address prevention of and recovery from corruption:

Recovering from corruption

Microsoft Access tips: Standard recovery sequence

Microsoft Access tips: Recovering from corruption

Preventing Corruption

Microsoft Access tips: Preventing corruption

Hopefully they'll help you in your investigation.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007