Smile Unanswered: This action can't be carried out while processing a form or report event.

Hello,
    I am trying to put the command: DoCmd.Close acForm, "AppointmentF", acCloseSaveYes in the lostfocus event in a textbox on my form AppointmentF. The plan is to have the form automatically close and save if the user tries to tab past this textbox. It is the bottom of the tab order in the form and I don't want them to be able to automatically create a new record if they simply keep tabbing and do not close the form. In the same event I also have Forms!MonthlyCalendarF!.SetFocus which is to set focus back to the main form MonthlyCalendarF. When I try this out and I tab out of the textbox I get the error message: This action can't be carried out while processing a form or report event. I cannot figure out why this is happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Provided Answers: 19
    If your goal is to simply prevent them from being able to automatically create a new record if they simply keep tabbing, go into the Form's Properties Pane and go to the 'Other' Tab and set the Cycle Property to 'Current Record.' If they Tab out of the last Control they'll simply go back to the first Control on the Form.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

thanks for the tip

Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    If your goal is to simply prevent them from being able to automatically create a new record if they simply keep tabbing, go into the Form's Properties Pane and go to the 'Other' Tab and set the Cycle Property to 'Current Record.' If they Tab out of the last Control they'll simply go back to the first Control on the Form.

Linq ;0)>
    Thanks for your help Missinglinq. I set the cycle property to current page instead so that it is still possible to edit the current record while in it but the user can't inadvertently create a new record by tabbing too far. I also put a message box in the last field reminding the user to click to close and return back to the main form. I still would like to know why I could not get doCmd.Close to work in any event except onclick but this solution will work in this case. Thank you again.