Provided Answers: 54

Unanswered: PASS Summit 2013

The PASS Summit 2013 is coming, and I will be attending!

Will anyone else from DBForums be there? If so, I'd like to "meet up" if we can!

Does anyone have questions that they'd like me to ask while I'm there? This is the world's largest, most focused event on Microsoft's Data technologies. This will be the opportunity of the year for getting access to and answers from the people who create new versions of SQL Server and the best known third-party tools to manipulate it!

Feel free to post questions for me to take to the Summit in search of answers, and if you are also going to the Summit please contact me to see if we can meet up!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 11
    I'm strongly debating it. I went to the SQL Saturday in Providence, and I think I got a $150 discount on the PASS Summit.

If you need a discount code, I have several at the $150 level.

If you go, PLEASE let me know so that we can meet up! I will forewarn you that the Summit will be exhausting... It will drain you of energy but fill you with ideas, content, and contacts and will probably be the best investment you can make in your career with Microsoft's data products (specifically SQL Server).

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Oh, I am fully aware of the risk of FBS (Full Brain Syndrome). If I do end up going, I will certainly send you a message with some details.

Pat. I have just successfully navigated the seventh layer of Management, and got approval for the trip to PASS. I'll send you a PM with my number so you can get in touch with me when I get there Tuesday night or so.

Provided Answers: 1
    Not this year; I am teaching an SQL class in Munich at the end of the month as my big trip. So I have yet another phrase book with which to embarrass myself. "Ich müchte meine Großmutter polstern.", and the ever useful "Die Handschellen sind zu eng."

Provided Answers: 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Celko View Post
    "Ich müchte meine Großmutter polstern.", and the ever useful "Die Handschellen sind zu eng."
    Seems like a lot of fun to join you on a business trip.
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

Provided Answers: 1
    Seriously, I have had a “Monty Python phrase book experience” in Brazil many years ago. My wife got me an old, used Brazilian Portuguese phrase book. Portuguese and Brazilian are well on the way to becoming separate languages. None of the cultural references were current – brands of cigarettes and beer no longer existed, Italian movies were not everywhere, the Brazilian bikinis in my book were worn by conservative nuns today, etc. To make it worse, I had only heard Los Angeles Chicano dialect, which is also well on the way to becoming a separate language. This is to Brazilian as Australian is to BBC English

The most common thing I heard was “Do you speak English?” when I tried to communicate. My hosts kept the book and read it out loud over beers that night with much amusement.

Provided Answers: 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Celko View Post
    the Brazilian bikinis in my book were worn by conservative nuns today
    lololololol

("lol" doesn't have enough characters to be accepted)
    With kind regards . . . . . SQL Server 2000/2005/2012
    Wim

Grabel's Law: 2 is not equal to 3 -- not even for very large values of 2.
    Pat Phelan's Law: 2 very definitely CAN equal 3 -- in at least two programming languages

While I'd love to do a road trip with Joe, I'm having a FABULOUS time at the Summit!

MCrowley and I did the Welcome Reception, and I introduced him to some of the subtleties of PASS navigation (he's becoming quite adept at it).

There are a bazillion folks here in Charlotte. Several thousand seem to be dedicated to pan-handling on my route to the convention center. This will certainly be a trip to remember!

-PatP

It's not panhandling. That's how I get the funds for a new server.

Provided Answers: 6
    Damn. I should have gone. I am not doing anything this week but hanging around the office waiting for Monday, and I think it is only like a six hour drive or something.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasymachus View Post
    Damn. I should have gone. I am not doing anything this week but hanging around the office waiting for Monday, and I think it is only like a six hour drive or something.
    Oh double damn! We could have had tons of fun!

MCrowley just dropped me off at my Hotel for the SQL Saturday #237 on his way home.

He and I crossed paths a couple of times a day, but it was a rollicking ride for me! SO many friends to talk with, so many things to learn.

The Summit is my idea of "geek heaven", several days where everyone around you gets why you get excited about SQL, data, servers, etc. and where most of the folk know more than you do!

This year it was just me, MCrowley and about 5000 of our closest friends! I tried to get him plugged in to the #SQLFamily, and I think that I was at least somewhat successful... I sure enjoyed meeting him (and harassing him too)!

-PatP

Provided Answers: 6
    My new boss was there. Do you know a Ruhul C. formerly of M$?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

I've met Ruhul twice, but I would not say that I know him. The first time that I met him was in the Microsoft office in the Twin Cities circa 2006. I also talked with him very briefly (under a minute) last week between sessions.

I got the impression that I would have liked to have had more time to talk with him both times, but didn't have that opportunity.

-PatP