Unanswered: Backup compatible or not

I am using Db2 10.1 on Windows server 2008 R3 (64bit) . I want to restore a db backup taken on this plateform over a local machine running DB2 9.5 on Windows XP SP3 32 bit.

Is it possible to do that ? Is there any other means to accomplish this task.

regards
    ssumit

Provided Answers: 11
    not with restore : use db2look and db2move
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Will this preserve references,keys,indexes,procs etc as well or i need to create them
    ssumit

have a look at the doc to see what you get with db2look...
    db2look - DB2 Statistics and DDL extraction tool - IBM DB2 9.7 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..

db2move use

Hi all,

I have requirement to transfer a database from source system to target daily ( it is to carried out by non DB knowledge user).

Source system: Windows server 2008 R3 64 bit (Db2 10.5)

Target system: Windows XP SP3 32bit (Db2 9.5)

I want to create two commands using db2move
    1. For Taking data from source system (Export)
    2. For Deploying that data on target system (Import)

is it possible. or we have to use Db2llok (for creating DDL) and db2move for loading data separately.

How will i resolve the issue of CONSTRAINTS,FKs ets while this.

regards sumit
    ssumit

although the doc explains the procedure in detail, some people refuse to have a look at it :
    do not be afraid.. this is for free.. our help is not..
    execute db2look with -d -e -l -x and you will see that all is included in this file to recreate the db and objects
    db2move allows you to export and import/load all the data

Thanks you for your promptness.

I will refer the document as well..

regards
    ssumit

Depending on the number of tables, you could use federation and cursor load to move the database between the source and target databases.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyBoxer View Post
    Depending on the number of tables, you could use federation and cursor load to move the database between the source and target databases.
    That is true. But you do not have to configure federation. When you catalog your source DB on the target DB server, you can 'load from cursor' by specifying the database/user/password in the 'declare cursor' command. Has been mentioned here before.

http://www.dbforums.com/db2/1664551-moving-data.html
    http://www.dbforums.com/db2/1680820-...te-server.html
    Last edited by dr_te_z; 09-30-13 at 03:17.
    Somewhere between " too small" and " too large" lies the size that is just right.
    - Scott Hayes

A lot of this really depends on how many tables and how much data you are dealing with. From your message it sounds like there is a client system that you want to extract some data on daily basis and import it on a target system. The initial creation of the target system you would probably want to use db2look, db2move etc, as mentioned.

However, if you are only extracting small amounts of data and importing them on a target system each day, your solution of export/import is a normal solution used by many people for this type of problem. Federation would of course work, so would replication etc., however, a simple export import scripting process is easy to create and easy to maintain, and not unusual (no extra license as well). As I said, it really depends on the amount of data etc, but export/import is used by thousands of shops every day.