Warehousing as a Service Thoughts

Hello. What are all of your thoughts on warehousing as a service? What are your opinions about products like Amazon Redshift and Bityota?

(Would also be helpful if you list what types of databases you are currently using if any just to get an idea of where these thoughts are coming from, thanks!)

From a business perspective you'd have to have almost unlimited trust in a business partner for them to host your data warehouse, especially if they serve as the architect/curator of the data (DWaaS) instead of just the custodian (IaaS).

What exactly did you have in mind as a WareHouse Service offering? What did you expect to offer, who do you expect to serve, and what did you expect to charge? If you could give us some insight into what you are planning to offer then we can probably give you more insight into the value of that offering.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

It's more of a general question into how the community is thinking about this service, so both for large corps and smaller startups/orgs. Curious whether it will become popular over the next few years or if IaaS, etc will continue to be big.

In terms of the cost, it would be roughly $1,000 TB/year according to Amazon Redshift. Thats pretty small in my opinion, at least on a small scale, considering you save on what you would normally pay for IaaS and probably some money for a DB developer.

I deal with a few very large multi-national clients and a few Entrepreneurs. Both groups live and die by the data that they have and the insights that they get from their systems. It takes years to build the kind of trust that it takes for this to work well.

I think that some companies will see DWaaS as a cost saving opportunity and will jump into it. I think that at some point there will be a data breach that will ruin one or more of them because that breach will reveal more about their strategy and history than they can recover from, leaving them helpless against one or more savvy competitors.

IaaS is a hard sell for many companies because of the risk involved in having "too many eggs in one basket". DWaaS will drastically (many thousand-fold) increase that risk. I would expect a data breach because of the high value of DWaaS data, and I'd be surprised if the industry survives the first major breach.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Data warehouses need to be customized for each particular business.
    Data warehousing is as much an issue of internal politics as it is one of infrastructure.
    DWaaS addresses neither of these issues. You will get, at best, a cookie-cutter data mart solution.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com