Where to start educating myself about databases

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum. I joined because I am interested in learning about databases and web based databases. I would like any suggestions or direction on where I should start. I have found MIT offers free web courses. But if anyone has suggestions of what courses would benefit me or how I could go about educating myself in this area it would be very much appreciated. I am very computer savvy but I have limited knowledge of databases or programming. I am eager to learn and appreciate any feedback.

Thank you.

Chris

Dear iConny. it is up to you that what package you like to learn. On this forum you can learn because here is very cooperative members for sharing knowledge

The idea of "I want to learn about databases" as opposed to "I want to learn about computers" narrows the field a bit, but not enough to be useful. It is kind of like "I want to learn about planes" as opposed to "I want to learn about vehicles"... Without some detail to guide us, I'm not sure that we can give you a useful answer other than "dig in and have fun"!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Sorry for the vague question! I am interested in learning/developing web and desktop applications. I apologize for my lack of knowledge but is that still too broad?

Chris

If you are looking for commercial training (the kind that will enable you to get a job), I'd recommend Pluralsight. While they are not free, they are well recognized by IT groups around the world and the training that they provide is both interesting and technically some of the best that I've seen.

There is great training available that is free or inexpensive, but it is really hard to separate the good stuff from second rate and those from pure balderdash that someone sees fit to post. You can certainly find good stuff here and there around the net, but you run into a Catch-22 because you can only tell if it is good if you already know the material.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

From what reading/google searching I have done I am leaning towards learning Microsoft SQL and the .Net framework. From my reading everything is preference and there is not a right or wrong answer but would anyone have any guidance or suggestions about going this direction. Also, I am not opposed to paying for the learning/education but I am I do not intend to look for a paying job so I am more interested in learning how and what to do than I am in obtaining a certification that will look good on a resume.

Thank you again!

Chris