Question Unanswered: Design and implement and administer a web based database application.

Hi,
    Sysadmin with multiple roles & responsibilities here.
    Database skill level: Novice, Took a college level Database course over a decade ago. worked with unix,c and oracle then.
    Objective: Create a web based application to update IT inventory, and create reports and track It assets.
    Database preferred: Oracle XE. AFAIK, it is free. NO budget from the bean counters.
    Why not MS Access or some other Database?
    MS Access costs money and no budget allocated and i'm not sure of web application possibilities with MS Access.
    Even though Oracle might have a steeper learning curve, it will help me career wise as other Applications in company are Oracle based and Oracle has more recognition in the region i'm in.

So my dear friends, i would like to know your thoughts as to the best plan of action. How would you plan this out? The database scene seems to have changed considerably since i was anywhere near it.
    So i'm in desperate need of guidance regarding -- learning path -- design ideas.

Thank you

Provided Answers: 1
    I would do a quick google search for SSADM. You don't have to use SSADM if you don't want to (or don't know how to), but the stages involved in the methodology are good guides to what you should be doing.
    90% of users' problems can be resolved by punching them - the other 10% by switching off their PCs.

I would look at Oracle APEX which AFAIK runs in Oracle XE. APEX allows you to create web apps in the database. and is integrated into the database.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Hi,
    That is a good starting point. But I'm more concerned regarding the sql querying ,interface creation, and the connectivity of the database to the web interface. MY experience with web designing is limited to static web pages where the user has limited interaction with the web page.

Can you please shed more light on those concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by beilstwh View Post
    I would look at Oracle APEX which AFAIK runs in Oracle XE. APEX allows you to create web apps in the database. and is integrated into the database.
    Thanx will look into that.