Provided Answers: 5

Unanswered: DB2 LUW Version Control / Change management

We are looking to institute some decent level of version control/change management for DB2 LUW database changes. My research has not revealed much.

I was wondering if you had used any product either third party or IBM. I am looking on what is available out there.

I have seen Embarcadero DB Change Manager, but our experience with their products has been lacking.

I have also seen the "Change Plans" in IBM Data Studio but have not looked into them much to see if they will suit our needs.

What we want is something similar to Source Control for programmers. Allows for branching, merging, and rolling back changes.

Thanks,
    Andy

You can look at Liquibase, but I am not sure you can do rollbacks of all DDL changes. Also, some customization of generated change scripts is necessary if you want to take advantage of all the DB2 alter syntax, since Liquibase tends to generate drop table and re-create for some changes that can be done online (depending on DB2 version).
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Thanks Marcus.

I am not sure how management would like an open source approach, but I will present it to them.

Has anybody had any experience with this, or the ones I mentioned before, or know of any others?

Thanks,
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by ARWinner View Post
    Thanks Marcus.

I am not sure how management would like an open source approach, but I will present it to them.

Has anybody had any experience with this, or the ones I mentioned before, or know of any others?

Thanks,
    Andy
    I have had second hand experience with this (developers handing me SQL generated by Liquibase). The version control works fine, but the SQL it generates for DB2 does not take advantage of online alter statements (except for simple cases like adding a column).

BMC has pretty good tools for DB2 z/OS, but not sure if they have anything for LUW.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Have you tried CVS? Again open source though. A general version control software.

Provided Answers: 18
    liquibase seems popular with open source databases but for DB2 I found liquibase (in 2010) to be more trouble than it is worth for any complex production-like environment. But many devs (who lack DBA knowledge, or lack knowledge of complex environments) see it as the go-to tool for schema evolution.

When I last looked at liquibase I noticed:
    - Output not atomic (cannot guarantee precisely the same result every time)
    - dumb (lacks support for alter table, alter column, lacks understanding of dependencies between objects as regards order of creation, or need to rebuild objects if the objects on which they depend get changed) so the output was unsuitable for complex environments without heavy customizing.
    - DBA spent as much time spent customizing the liquibase output as creating a patch-script from scratch - particularly when multiple small changes to the same object can be deployed in one time-period (and in one unit of work).
    - not useful in environments where schemas are not-hardcoded
    - requires a jvm, (connects via jdbc) often run from client workstations, often with no DBA skills, so it was OK for simple development environments where no real integrate-testing is happening.
    - As some open source tools evolve quickly, it might get better over time.

I also looked at Data Studio change plans and also found these to be simplistic, functionally limited , cumbersome eclipse based gui - but for simple environments good enough as is. Minimal customisation for simple environments. One good thing is that Data Studio evolves with DB2 releases usually so can understand recent features etc.

I have used Erwin (in the past) to generate database ddl patches and this was OK (but did not integrate with SCM tools, although script-wrappers cured that), and also I needed to customize the patches anyway although to a lesser degree than with liquibase. But Erwin pricing restricts its marketplace considerably and Erwin is slow to fully support latest DB2 versions.

I intend to look at liquibase but with your comments, I am not optimistic.

BMC does not have a LUW version.

So far it is not looking good.

Anybody else?

Andy

Toad for DB2 from quest should do what you are looking for.

Yvan

Toad is now owned by Dell, and as far as I can tell, it will not do exactly what we need. All I see is a compare function.

Andy