Red face Unanswered: Amazon RDS - Can't connect to MySQL database server?

Hello,

So I've been working on this issue for a while now, and I'll explain what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to connect to a MySQL database server, hosted by Amazon Web Services in the Amazon RDS service. The database is up and running, and I've created a security group, as well as an EC2 security group. Within the Ec2 security group, I've opened up port 3306 (the MySQL port), and added it as a rule. I've then applied this rule. I've then connected the security group to the EC2 security group, and I connected the database to the security group. Thus the database should have port 3306 open (and for all I know it does!).

So here's the issue. I'm trying to connect to the MySQL server based on the IP of the database I'm given by Amazon Web Services. However, when I attempt to connect via the Terminal command shell, the connection times out, saying that the MySQL connection failed.

Here's what I type in: "mysql -h ***********.rds.amazonaws.com" where the asterisks are part of the IP address.

The error is as follows: "ERROR 2003 (HY000): Can't connect to MySQL server on '***********.rds.amazonaws.com' (60)"

I've also tried specifying a username and password to the command, but the same error occurs.

Any thoughts as to why the connection is failing?

Thanks, any help appreciated!

Jake

One way to see if the port is enabled is to use "telnet <hostname> 3306". This will attempt a connection. If you appear to get some data transferred back and the telnet session appears to hang then the connection is open. If not then this suggests a firewall type issue.
    Ronan Cashell
    Certified Oracle DBA/Certified MySQL Expert (DBA & Cluster DBA)
    http://www.it-iss.com
    Follow me on Twitter