Unanswered: Auto-populate field in form based on another field

I am working on a form for entering data from wildlife surveys. My question concerns three fields: SurveyID, SpecimenID, and UniqueId. I want UniqueID to be a combination of SurveyID and SpecimenID, so if the SurveyID is "A1" and I am entering the third specimen collected in that survey, the UniqueID would automatically become A1-3. This is the unique identification I NEED to use, I realize Access can assign an auto number, but I need the Unique ID to be in this format.

I have made a query that will do this in my table, but the problem is I want it to automatically update in a form WHILE I am still entering data into the form for that record. Is this possible? Once I have typed in the specimen Id, selected the survey ID (which is a combo box), I want UniqueID to go ahead and populate as "A1-3". So far with the query I have tried, it only wants to select from records already entered, it will not update based on what I have just typed in to the form. Plus, I don't want to have to make a selection at all, I want it to automatically do this.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I am very new to Access (using 2007 on Windows 7), I have been teaching myself via YouTube videos and visiting forums such as this one, so in your response assume no prior knowledge. Thank you so much!

Provided Answers: 59
    why do you need this unique indentification
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Because that is how they were recorded in the field, and there are photos and other information in field notebooks that correspond to that ID, so it needs to be the same.

Provided Answers: 59
    If the specimin id is recorded in the field then it can be entered along with the survey id. Create your pk with both columns.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Yes that is what I am doing, but the combination is lengthy in many situations and I wanted to be able to just type 1, 2, 3 etc. in my specimen ID column and have it auto join with the Survey ID so that there is less typing, therefore less chance for errors. I am not the only one who will be entering data into this database so I want it to be consistent. Plus the survey ID is being selected from a combo box, so I am trying to reduce having to enter redundant information. I have my reasons for wanting to do it this way rather than type it in every single time.

Do you have any ideas for how to do what I originally suggestetd? That's all I really need to know, if there is a way to do that.

Thanks