Unanswered: Need help to Flag Duplicate Records

I have an access database that processes wildlife GPS collar data. The main table has approximately 20 fields. Most of these fields are from the original dataset and I have some additional fields such as ImportedOn and QAQC where I can flag the data as erroneous. I don't want to necessarily delete duplicate data entries but I do want to flag them as duplicate with the QAQC field.

Can anybody provide me with advice on how to look at the dataset (possibly a few hundred thousand records) and identify duplicate entries based on the first 18 columns (but not the last two) and then add a "dup" to the QAQC field on all but one of the duplicate records?

I have been trying various query's, SQL code, and VBA routines to accomplish this with little to no success. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Richmond, Virginia USA
    Provided Answers: 19
    This is really not my area of expertise, but just to clarify, before someone else attempts to help you, are 'Duplicate' Records, by your definition, where all data of Fields 1-18 of RecordA are identical to all data of Fields 1-18 of RecordB?

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Duplicate Flags

That is correct. The issue mainly arises because the data sources of the importing data vary sometimes and there is occasional duplication. I would like to just flag them and not delete them to help identify sources of duplication (there are also fields in there that have the import date and import source that would help me streamline the process in the future).