Unanswered: SQL Server 2012 Resources

I once administered SQL Server Databases 10-15 years ago. Since then I've been an Oracle guy who most recently worked on Oracle Warehouse Builder 11g. I not have been asked to jump on a project that will use SQL Server 2012. My time frame is about a month.

I went on Amazon but there are so many books out there.
    Could some of you recommend books that you have used.

I'll be visiting this site more and more now. You guys provide good stuff
    Last edited by db808; 10-15-13 at 20:35.

Provided Answers: 54
    I'm at the SQL PASS Summit. I'll check in with the SQL Server Oracle Virtual Chapter and report back... I'm betting that they'll have some good ideas for you.

It might behoove you to catch the keynotes tomorrow and Thursday. They'll be webcast for free at the Summit 2013 page. There might be some useful content for you there.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Many Thanks Pat

Provided Answers: 6
    I have not been a fulltime admin in a long time, but for me as a developer, nothing beats the good book. It has tutorials...

Books Online for SQL Server 2012
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 11
    You will likely be spending a great deal of time reading articles in BOL (Books OnLine), which is installed as "documentation" as I recall. I speak at least broken Oracle, so I can get you through some questions where you may be uncertain of the actual terms that MS uses.

I talked to a number of people at the PASS Summit, and there were about five times as many opinions as people! This leads me to the understanding that the answer boils down to the ever popular "it depends".

If you can give me a bit more understanding of what you want and/or need, I'll be glad to take another shot at finding you an answer. It appears that there isn't any simple "one size fits all" solution for what appears to be a largish family of problems, but that makes sense when I think about the size and complexity of both the Oracle and SQL Server products.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

I'm ramping up to take the SQL Server 2012 Certification Exams 461-465.
    So far I got the Training Kit Books for the first 3.

Anyone know the percentage of exam questions that are covered in these books?
    50%, 75%... I don't expect to hear 100% but hope not to hear less than 50

Anyone else feels that you spend too much time jumping back and forward using Books Online

I was able to find every answer (yes, 100%) in the Microsoft test Training Kits, but that was for an earlier version of the test. There were a couple of "edge cases" that weren't explicitly stated in the Training Kit, but the information was present and the answer could be easily inferred from the information that was provided.

I don't get too excited about any of the tests other than the MCM, and I doubt that you're planning to go that far. If you need the certificates for work, or just want them for personal reasons then by all means go and get them, but don't spend a lot of money and time getting them for promotional purposes.

-PatP