Unanswered: BLOB storage issue

Dear all,

Platform: Db2 9.7on AIX

I have a specific requirement where users have to upload files /graphics in BLOB datatype of table. That input ranges from 15 KB to 9 MB randomly. Due to space and disk constraints i can't afford allocating 10MB BLOB for these thousands of input.

i want that only that much memory shoud be occupied in database that is equal to the size of of files uploaded. But with BLOB 10 MB , 10 MB space will instatntly be occupied at the time of table creation.

In this way My lot DB space got wasted unused.

Please suggest any way arround or any new datatype introduced in DB2 10.1 or later.

regards

Sumit
    ssumit

Provided Answers: 11
    blob 10M means : max size is 10M
    or check this page http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../c0052385.html
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

yes, max size is 10 MB but what about storage allocation? i believe 10MB is at once allotted at the time of data insertion, irrespective of actual input file size (10KB , 5MB or what ever).

is there any solution for the same.

regards
    sumit
    ssumit

have you looked at the link and first entry : LOB (To reduce the amount of disk space......)
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..

staorage of BLOB

thanks przytula_guy

i have used COMPACT clause for creating LOB field of table.

hope it will reduce disk usage.

But i am unable to understand the output about the storage statistics (allocated/used/free space) of that table. can any body help me in this regard.

Action: CHECK TABLESPACE
    Tablespace name: USERSPACE1
    Tablespace ID: 2
    Result file name: insp.out
    Table phase start (ID Signed: 424, Unsigned: 424; Tablespace ID: 2) :

Data phase start. Object: 424 Tablespace: 2
    DAT Object Summary: Total Pages 1 - Used Pages 1 - Free Space 44 %
    Data phase end.

LOB phase start. Object: 424 Tablespace: 2
    LOB Object Summary: Total Pages 2048 - Used Pages 1291
    LBA Object Summary: Total Pages 3 - Used Pages 3
    LOB phase end.
    Table phase end.

regards
    sumit
    ssumit

use something like this (0)[db2inst1@dlx00003 work]$ db2 "select TBSP_NAME,TBSP_USABLE_PAGES,TBSP_USED_PAGES,TBSP_F REE_PAGES from sysibmadm.SNAPTBSP_PART fetch first row only"

TBSP_NAME TBSP_USABLE_PAGES TBSP_USED_PAGES TBSP_FREE_PAGES
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------- -------------------- --------------------
    SYSCATSPACE 40952 38256 2696

or look at the doc... (sysibmadm)

but i want storage statis tics only for table id = 424 stored in tbsp id = 2.
    ssumit

I will not indicate what I want .....
    we gave you all kind of hints and tips.. now up to you TO READ THE DOC and find what you exactly need..

thanks.. i will figure it out
    ssumit