Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Linux RHEL and DB2 upgrade

Currently we have:
    RHEL 5.x 32-bit
    DB2 v9.7 WSE 32-bit

To be upgraded to:
    RHEL 6.x 64-bit
    DB2 v10.1 ESE 64-bit

The following doc [ https://access.redhat.com/site/docum...grade-x86.html ] states that RHEL in-place upgrade is not supported. If this is true, then OS has to be reinstalled.

Do you know if reinstalling RHEL wipes out all filesystems (including DB2 related filesystems) or just OS system filesystems? If it's just OS filesystems, is there anything SA has to do to the existing filesystems (ie. recreate/reformat them, etc...) after OS has been upgraded from 32-bit to 64-bit?

I realize that these questions are more appropriate for RHEL forum, but I hope someone here had to go through this process and knows what's involved.

Provided Answers: 18
    I upgraded recently from RHEL 6.3 x64 to RHEL 6.4 x64 (via a re-install).
    The RHEL 6.3 was db2 v10.1. The RHEL 6.4 has DB2 v10.5.
    the RHEL installation(from dvd) gave me a choice as to whether I wanted to preserve contents of existing file-systems, or format them. I chose the former.
    I Had No big issues. Everything just worked smoothly.

But perhaps the change from RHEL 5.x to RHEL 6.x has different requirements.

Thanks. I think 6.3 -> 6.4 is not considered a "major version' upgrade, so in-place upgrade is supported. From the link: " A major version is denoted by a whole number version change"

Has anyone gone though a major RHEL upgrade?

Yes we did it last year. DEV and TEST systems were on virtual hosts, production on two node cluster.
    In fact we installed clean new OS and remonted /db2 filesystems.
    On production machines we switched all db on second node , then install new first then switch and finally instal RHEL 6 on second node.
    Be sure to save global registry file otherwise you''l have some fun with db2greg utility.

Quote Originally Posted by db2mor View Post
    preserve contents of existing file-systems
    Does this option create a backup of the existing filesystems or upgrade just won't touch them?

Provided Answers: 18
    In my case it did not touch those file systems.
    But maybe the change from 32-bit to 64-bit requires a filesystem change.

To be on safe side , use tar to do db2 fs backup transfer it outside box then upgrade Redhat.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by db2girl View Post
    Does this option create a backup of the existing filesystems or upgrade just won't touch them?
    It won't touch the filesystems that you choose to leave alone, and the filesystem format should be compatible (I'm assuming it would be EXT3).
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Upgrading from RHEL 5 to 6 is not that big of a deal from a DB2 point of view, but when going from 32-bit to 64-bit, I would take a DB2 backup and then do a restore after a new DB2 64-bit instance is created. Even if the old DB2 file systems are OK, I would not count on being able to use them after upgrade to 64-bit.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A View Post
    Even if the old DB2 file systems are OK, I would not count on being able to use them after upgrade to 64-bit.
    Why not ?

Why not ?
    Because I wouldn't want to worry whether or not it would work correctly. I would want to do a fresh install of DB2, create a new 64-bit instance, and restore the database from a backup. I don't know whether an upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit RHEL and DB2 would work without doing these things, but I am not sure what amount of work is being saved by not doing them (fresh install, etc).
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Thanks everyone for your help. I'm going to do the backup prior to OS upgrade and then restore/migrate the db's. The databases are very small, so it's easy to backup and restore. But I wonder what DBA's who have very large databases do when backup isn't possible....

Provided Answers: 54
    But I wonder what DBA's who have very large databases do when backup isn't possible....
    Update their resumes?

Even for multi-terabyte databases I won't do an upgrade without having a backup that is outside of the building.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    Even for multi-terabyte databases I won't do an upgrade without having a backup that is outside of the building.

-PatP
    backup outside of the building - Isn't this overcautious?

Provided Answers: 54
    backup outside of the building - Isn't this overcautious?
    This reminds me of the old adage: Good backup or good resume, you must ALWAYS have at least one!

A lot depends on your experience. I've done enough upgrades on many different platforms that I'm no longer a trusting soul... When people "bet their business" on my ability to safely handle their data, I won't take chances like that.

I've done hundreds (possibly thousands) of upgrades on many different platforms over the past 35 years. I've had six of those become DR situations. The worst case was about ten years ago and that upgrade (db, app, web, and infratructure in a single "big bang" upgrade) caused the SAN to "suicide". I was VERY glad to drive two hours to retrieve the backup that day!

While upgrades are usually trivial exercises, I still insist on having a backup which is outside of the building.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.