Thread: Design Help

Question Design Help

Hi All,
    I'm looking for help from some one with experience to help me design a database for a golf society that play their outings on different courses. Here are the Business rules I have established. I just need someone to tell me if My database is progressing on the right track. Its a work in progress and not complete. Any and All suggestions are welcome. I have never designed a database before I'm doing this as a learning curve as I run a society and would like to keep this information in a database.
    Entities

Society
    Players
    Courses
    Competitions

Relationships

Societies can have many Players.
    Society can host many Competitions.
    Many Competitions occur every year.
    Competition can be played on Different courses
    Players can participate in zero or many Competitions.
    A Player can be a member in one or many Societies.
    Competition can have many Competitors.

What do I know about these?

A Society is identified by a unique Code, and has a Name, Address and Other Details.
    A PLAYER is identified by a unique ID, and has a Name, Address and Other Details.
    A Competitions is identified by a unique Code, and has a Name, Sponsor, Date.

Tables
    Golf_Society_Details {Society_ID, Society_Name, Society_Email, Society_Num_Members, etc. }
    Players {Player_ID, Player_Name, Email, Handicap, etc. }
    Society_Members { Society_ID, Players_ID }
    Course_Name {Course_ID, Course_Name, Address, Contact_No, Email etc.}
    Course_Gender { Gender_ID, Course_ID, Gender}
    Course_Details {Gender_ID, Hole_No, Par, Index }
    Competition { Competition_ID, Competition_Format }
    Competition_Info { Competition_ID, Course_ID, Competition_Date, etc. }
    Competition_Competitor { Competition_ID, Course_ID, Competition_Date, Player_ID, Score, Results }

Regards,
    Screed

p.s Hope I posted in correct place.

What level of class is this, and how far into the class is this assignment?

It would help us to help you if you could give us the name of the book that the teacher is using, and what chapter this assignment covers. That will help us to know what techniques you've been taught so far, and what your teacher will expect you to demonstrate.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Design Help

Hi Pat,

I'm currently undertaken a Hdip Course in software development, and this is part of my project. It is not a class assignment. I looking for some experienced eyes to look over the database tables I have created to see if I have met the enterprise rules. The techniques we have being taught are Relational Model design using ER diagrams and Relational Notation 1first normal form, 2nd normal form 3 normal for.

Hope this answers your questions?

Regards,
    Screed,

Forgot to add that I'm using MySQL Workbench on my local drive.
    Last edited by Screed; 10-30-13 at 16:42.

After many hours of entering data on paper I needed to tweak some tables. I now have the following updated tables for the golf course to make sure I could determine between the mens course details and ladies course details.

At this point I can get both the society details and information on its members. Now I also have the course details and can break it down to get the mens and ladies course details.

Now to work on the competitions.

Golf_Society_Details {Society_ID, Society_Name, Society_Email, Society_Num_Members, etc. }
    Players {Player_ID, Player_Name, Email, Handicap, etc. }
    Society_Members { Society_ID, Players_ID }

Course_Name {Course_ID, Course_Name, Address, Contact_No, Email etc.}
    Gender { Gender_ID, }
    Course_List {Course_listid,Course_ID, Gender_ID}
    Hole_details {Course_listid, Hole_number, hole_index, par}

Again if anyone has suggestions or ideas all comments welcome

p.s Hoping that someone with more database experience can mull over the tables to see if I'm doing my database design correctly.
    I'm not looking for anyone to design the database but make suggestions on anything they may see I've done wrong.

Regards,
    Screed.
    Last edited by Screed; 11-06-13 at 06:36.