Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Locking Certain Form Fields

I have a form for entering repair order information.

Is there a way to lock only certain fields on that form and leave the other fields editable? Also I still want to be able to use the Control + F to search those fields. These fields need to be unlocked for other records so only lock the current record's fields.

Thanks so very much for any help.
    Last edited by snowlep; 11-04-13 at 10:26.

Provided Answers: 6
    Each of those controls has a locked property that can be set to Yes.
    Paul

How does that work? Do they lock after tabbing from each field or does the record have to be closed for the lock to function?

Maybe you should clarify exactly what you want to achieve. Based on your original question, you'd set them as locked in design view and save the form, and they would always be locked.
    Paul

What essentially I want is a clerk will enter the information highlighted and then be locked so that the technicians cannot alter those fields during the repair process.

I was wondering could running a query on a particular record lock those fields in question?

I could envision having a data entry form for the clerk and a separate form for the technician with those fields locked. I could envision determining the user when the form loads and locking those fields for the technician. I suppose you could lock those fields if they contain something when the form loads.
    Paul

That would make sense but we have to share computers here. So the clerk and technician use the same front ends.

Could a command button lock a field on only the record that is open?

I have a form for entering repair order information.

Is there a way to lock only certain fields on that form and leave the other fields editable? Also I still want to be able to use the Control + F to search those fields. These fields need to be unlocked for other records so only lock the current record's fields.

Thanks so very much for any help.

Lock Some Fields on Table or Form?

This is related to my previous post: Locking Certain Fields on a Form.

I have a form to enter repair information. The first few fields will be entered by the Clerk and once that information is entered I want it to be read only. Still searchable but not allowing edits.

The rest of the fields will be allowed to enter and edit until the record is closed.

I am not sure if this needs to be accomplished directly from the table or on the form itself.

The highlighted fields are the ones to be read only once entered.

Thanks for help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AFR Form..png  

Provided Answers: 59
    it should be possible to set or unset the relevant controls enabled property
    seems to suggest you can use either locked or enabled properteis

to use this you'd need to work out how you know whether someone can edit controls or not, and that has the feel of a user account /usergroup issue. if you do go down the user/usergroup route then bear inmind youneed to doa lot of work to ensure that the user cotnrol is effective. there is no point in locking down controls on a form if the user also has access to the underlugin tables, and or can make changes to forms. tieing down thsi sort of thing relies on deploying as an MDE/ACCDE
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I am using ACCESS 2013 and the database is split Front End and Back End.

I cannot do the user account method and each desktop has it's own version of the Front End.

Provided Answers: 59
    Quote Originally Posted by snowlep View Post
    I am using ACCESS 2013 and the database is split Front End and Back End.

I cannot do the user account method and each desktop has it's own version of the Front End.

there is nothing stopping you from writing your own user system within Access and checking permissions

do clerks and technicians share the same computer, that may be an easier way of handling this requirement by deploying a clerk version and a techniciaon version
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Unfortunately we share computers. The technicians need to still read what the clerk enters and also be able to search the fields in question.