Question Unanswered: Compatibility between version 10 and 9

Hi..
    I would like to know some opinion from you guys.

I''ve given task to develop a system including database for my internship project. They ask me to use the Oracle 9i available here (they have other database). I guess this is because I learn Oracle in my university back then.

During the beginning of project, I have problem to connect the database and my system(prototype). I ask the technician but seem she also not familiar so I decide to hold that problem. So throughout the project I am using my APEX 10g version that I installed in my laptop. So now, I want to change to that 9i since the project will end soon.

Is there any advice? Is it easy to change it? Please guide me if there is some point that I should know.

Thank you

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    one way would be to use V9 exp against the V10 database,
    then use V9 imp to import into the V9 database.
    If V10 exp is used, then you can not import into the V9 DB.
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by anacedent View Post
    one way would be to use V9 exp against the V10 database,
    then use V9 imp to import into the V9 database.
    If V10 exp is used, then you can not import into the V9 DB.

For now what should I do.? I only know some basic about oracle (query and a few thing). Didn't expect to face this kind of issue. Please guide me.

Provided Answers: 4
    Quote Originally Posted by nanieaziz
    I am using my APEX 10g version
    Unfortunately, there's no "APEX 10g". I know (for example) 3.2, 4.1 and - the latest - 4.2. So, which one of these do you really use?

Although it is quite possible to export a schema from current 10g and import it into 9i (as Anacedent already told you) so that you'd have your tables and data, stored procedures etc., you might have serious problems in porting Apex application from 10g to 9i (which might be close to impossible).

Why does Apex version matter? Because it requires certain database version to run with. For example, Apex 4.2 Installation requirements specify
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle
    Oracle Application Express release 4.2 requires an Oracle database (...) that is Release 10.2.0.4 or higher
    Therefore, check installation requirements for your Apex version and you'll find the answer. There's a possibility that your client will have to upgrade Oracle version.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlefoot View Post
    Unfortunately, there's no "APEX 10g". I know (for example) 3.2, 4.1 and - the latest - 4.2. So, which one of these do you really use?
    My bad. I simply write the short term that I understand. Sorry. Are Application Express and Express Edition different? I read some from Oracle website about those two terms but I get more confuse with the words.

Therefore, check installation requirements for your Apex version and you'll find the answer. There's a possibility that your client will have to upgrade Oracle version.
    Where to check the requirement?

Provided Answers: 12
    Are you aware that Oracle 9i has been out of support for ages?
    I will not read nor answer questions where the SQL code is messy and not formatted properly using [code] tags: http://www.dbforums.com/misc.php?do=bbcode#code

Tips for good questions:

http://tkyte.blogspot.de/2005/06/how...questions.html
    http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SlowQueryQuestions
    http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

Quote Originally Posted by shammat View Post
    Are you aware that Oracle 9i has been out of support for ages?
    No I'm not. I just know that we have latest Oracle version so why bother use 9i. I wonder why this organization didn't want to upgrade its version. Is it because cost to upgrade or no one know how to handle it. Ergh.

So what will you suggest me?

Provided Answers: 4
    Are Application Express and Express Edition different?
    Yes; "Application Express" ("Apex") is a tool you use to develop applications. "Express Edition" ("XE") is name of the entry-level Oracle database which is free to use (as opposed to other editions - Standard, Enterprise - which are not free). XE database installation already contains Apex (which can, also, be separately downloaded and installed), so maybe that's what caused confusion.

Where to check the requirement?
    In a document that is called "Installation Guide" for your Apex version.

So what will you suggest me?
    Can they upgrade 9i to a more recent version? Say, 11g R2? If so, no problem for you. If not, then they won't be able to use your application.
    On the other hand, if schema that is used as a "source" for your application contains not-too-many data (up to 11 GB), they can install 11g R2 Express Edition (which is free), so you'd export your current schema and import it into the new XE database, export & import your Apex application and - hopefully - everything will be running just fine.

Can they upgrade 9i to a more recent version? Say, 11g R2? If so, no problem for you. If not, then they won't be able to use your application.
    On the other hand, if schema that is used as a "source" for your application contains not-too-many data (up to 11 GB), they can install 11g R2 Express Edition (which is free), so you'd export your current schema and import it into the new XE database, export & import your Apex application and - hopefully - everything will be running just fine.

I don't know if they want to upgrade it or not because if they really want, why don't they do before, right? By the way, I will just propose your solution to them. Who knows the might change their mind. Plus, my application won't take to much space in database.

Thank you for sharing your opinion..