Thread: File sharing

Unanswered: File sharing

I have two BE files that sit on a file server in two separate folders. I have two FE apps using these BE files. Each of these FE apps links to a table of customers in one BE file.
    When user #1 opens a form using FE app #1 with record source set to this customer table and user #2 opens a form in FE app #2 which queries from this customer table and then tries to preview a report she gets a message: "could not use (file name); file already in use."

Both users have read/write/execute/modify permissions in both folders.

Can anyone shed some light on what is happening here???

thanks so much

Provided Answers: 59
    check that both Access programs are set to shared mode and default locking to no locks or edited records. it could be that the Access program is opening the file for exclusive use.

I have seen this sort of problem before, but I can't remember how I resolved it.

I seen similar messages when you have two applications runnign at the same time on the same machine.

Ive seen similar messages when you do the same sort of thing with a form making changes to data and then try to open another view of the same data (but as your message reports file already in use I doubt its related to data.

check your code to see if there is more than one attempt to open the same file
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton