Unanswered: Paradox 4.5 Dos on Windows 7 32bit Operating system

Hello,

I am not sure this is where I should post this, but I hope someone can help me.

I have been using a pal coded application where by it processes a series of 120 records with a script. Each record takes about 40-50 seconds to process on dual core dell with a solid state drive, using Windows 7.

I moved everything to a Dell Precision laptop with a faster Dual Core 32 bit processor, with a standard 7200 hard drive, the application time per record is 25 seconds.

The problem after 30 to 40 records, it starts reading 0 (zero) and the files are
    turned into garbage?

I tried running application in Dos box, it works but run time jumps to 120 seconds per record, and I didn't bother to run the file out to see if completes the process.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Provided Answers: 54
    If you are willing to put some time into your application, upgrading to Corel Office Professional contains the latest version of Paradox. You will need to experiment to see if it will run your application "as is" or to get a guesstimate at how much work it will take to get the PAL application to run in the current version of Paradox. Once you know that, you'll have to decide if you want to upgrade it or not.

If you choose to stay with the existing product unchanged, you'll probably need to use some kind of virtualization of an older version of Windows in order to get decent performance. This isn't technically challenging, as long as you have an appropriate version of Windows to support your application. If you use a product like VMware Workstation, it can actually take an existing physical machine and make it into a virtual machine for you so that you can use some of the features of your newer hardware. If you want a GPL alternative (which takes more work), you can use Oracle Virtual Box which can probably do everything that you need.

Upgrading to either Paradox or another current platform is probably the better choice for the long term, virtualization is probably easier and cheaper.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

sorry, but I have to disagree with EVERYTHING that Pat suggested :-)

- you can't "upgrade" pdoxdos to pdoxwin, or any other platform.. total re-write, no matter how simple or complex your app is.. but the data itself can be used and/or exported to any modern platform

- pdoxdos has been a dead platform for about 20 years.. pdoxwin has been a dead platform for about 10 years.. neither is a long-term option, unless it's just for yourself.. there are only a handful of us left, to potentially be available for any kind of emergency support

- you don't need any kind of "virtual box" to run pdoxdos on any 32-bit windows machine.. it runs fine as-is, as long as you understand the simple environment that you're capable of.. there are a few things like ports, printing, long file names, sharing, etc., that you have to know how to deal with, especially on a network

so.. bottom line here, for your issue.. don't know anything about your environment, don't know how you've configured pdoxdos, don't know anything about the data or the processes in the script.. and don't know what errors, if any, you're generating..

you might want to start with 4xGuide, on my downloads page, then ask more questions and/or give me more details
    --
    Steven Green - Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

http://www.OasisTradingPost.com

Oasis Trading Post
    - Collectibles and Memorabilia
    - Vintage Lego Sets and Supplies
    - and Paradox Support, too

Thanks for your reply Steve, this is a single application, that I use in my business. No network. It was written with Proc Statements and there are about 170, and it queries about 15-20 different files, and then writes to about 7 tables.

I ran your unlocking program, I found 51, this allows the program to finish it's processing some of the time. I thought I had it fixed, then it bombed.

Any suggestions, or other information, you can post it here and I will see if I can answer you.

Thanks

remlock deleted 51 files? .. was that 25 folder pairs and a net file? one file in 51 folders? a bunch of mixed stuff? leftover lock files with table names from the old 3.x scheme?

still don't know anything about your details, of course, because I haven't seen it.. what bombed? error message? lockup up? damaged tables? have you stepped thru the code?

etc, etc, etc..
    --

Oasis Trading Post

Yes there were about 50 folders.

What info would you like, or where do you think I should start?

slowdown is one issue, crashing is another one altogether.. either way, stepping thru the code is in order, to see what's happening.. for a simple starter, you can put some messages thru the process, and watch for significant slow areas to debug first..

MESSAGE "I'm at this point in the process"
    SLEEP 2000

an errorproc to document the status when it crashes is very important, too

all things being equal, one machine to the next machine, maybe you'll find that it's trying to access something that's no longer there on the new machine, and a big part of the slowdown is the "wait" for that device (or drive, or file)

another clue might be the locks.. in theory, the lock file goes away when the folder isn't being accessed.. when it crashes, you might find that more folders are still locked than you expected..

again, I know nothing about the app, all I can offer is generic ideas
    --

Oasis Trading Post

1. I run the remlock
    2. I setup a directory with "clean files" for lack of another word, I empty them from all data, and restructure them.
    3. I restructure all my data files.
    4. Run script.
    5. Seems to work without any problems, I will feel more comfortable, after a few
    runs.

Any other suggestions, would be appreciated.

Clean start over, great.. If something goes wrong, we need to know exactly what it was, and where it was in the process.. Hopefully, it won't happen :-)

Just wondering with the Windows 7 setup for paradox I have the following setup, and would appreciate it if you would give me input of any settings that could be causing the problem.

Program

Cmd Line c:\pdox45\paradox.exe

working C:\pdox45

shortcu key none

Run Normal Window
    checked close on exit

Font Both Font types checked

Memory All Auto

Screen Window checked
    Window checked Restore settings at Startup
    Performance checked Fast Rom Emulation and Dynamic memory allocation

Misc:
    checked Allow screen saver
    Termination check
    other check fast pasting
    Short cut keys checked

Compatibility Mode None checked

As I said earlier.. Download 4xGuide.. Refer to the installation suggestions, especially the command line