Thread: Reclaim space

Unanswered: Reclaim space

Hello, We have a db2 9.7 database on AIX.

The high watermark and used pages are very close. Does it mean there is no scope to reclaim any free space? Its a DMS tablespace set for auto resize and maxsize none.

Also, my assumption is backup shows just the data size and capacity shows data and unused space in DMS

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sr4230 View Post
    Hello, We have a db2 9.7 database on AIX.

The high watermark and used pages are very close. Does it mean there is no scope to reclaim any free space? Its a DMS tablespace set for auto resize and maxsize none.
    Basically correct. But if you have deleted rows, there may be some free space on each page. Similar situation with indexes. An offline table reorg will fix that if it is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by sr4230 View Post
    Also, my assumption is backup shows just the data size and capacity shows data and unused space in DMS.
    Not exactly sure what you mean. Backup file(s) size is usually not the same as database size, especially since most people use compress option.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Marcus, Thanks for the response. The db2 get size procedure gives database size and database capacity. I am trying to clarify if the database size from the procedure is same as uncompressed image.

For DMS tablespace, DB2 will backup all pages up to the high-water mark.

Thanks a lot