Thread: VARCHAR to INT

Unanswered: VARCHAR to INT

I have a column called batch_cycle which is defined as VARCHAR but its contents are all numerics. It is the date in modified julian format. What I am trying to do is to export out a select number of rows based on the batch cycle but I keep running into the operand is not valid for the column type. So I tried to CAST it to an INT but I run into the same issues

Here is the query stripped out of the script

db2 "export to $dir/tps_liability_info_import.ixf of ixf messages msgs_$Datetime.txt select * from $schema.$table where CAST(batch_cycle as INT) > ('$julian'-'40')" >> $output

This query works

db2 "export to $dir/tps_liability_info_import.ixf of ixf messages msgs_$Datetime.txt select * from $schema.$table where batch_cycle >='13310
    00'" >> $output

But I need to turn the julian date into a variable that I can just choose to keep x number of iterations of the rows that were created for the amount of batch cycles I want to keep.

I got it to work. I just created another variable for the julian-40 called date_value

db2 "export to $dir/tps_liability_info_import.ixf of ixf messages msgs_$Datetime.txt select * from $schema.$table where CAST(batch_cycle as INTEGER) > $date_value" >> $output