Thread: Attachments

Unanswered: Attachments

Simple question. Does access store the hyperlink of a file location to the database when you use attachments or does it store a copy of the file?

Provided Answers: 59
    depends on how you designed your database. the data storage mechanism stores what you tell it to. yopu can do wither.

like virtually anythign in life there are advantages and disadvantages in both approaches. If you are unlcear then I'd suggest doing a bit of research on which style you prefer.

for me I prefer to store URL's to a file in a DB, but also take steps to secure such fiels that are stroed outside the db itself
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

attachments

Is there examples of both on this forum. What I am trying to decide is to allow the access field property attachments to attach files or to create a command button. If I create a command button how to you invoke the dialogue box from windows to allow the user to search for the file and save the url to a field in the database or hyperlink.

Attached is a screenshot of part of the form that I use to store the location of an attachment in a table. I have also included the code to store the location of the file in a field etc.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

I will give this a try. I work for a small town and it is nice to have someone to talk to when developing the impossible. I am the Municipal Works Director not an IT guy. I hope someday to provide the group with something useful.
    Ken