Cool Unanswered: Diffrence between instance owner and fened ID

Hi DBA's,

I am bit new to DB2,

Can somebody explain me what is the Fenced User while creating an instance and how does it differs from instance owner.
    On IBM site its used for accessing the fenced UDF and stored procedures.

Could somedody explain it a bit more for me.

Thanks in Advance.

Provided Answers: 1
    A fenced user usually has no permissions to the instance or database files, nor can it access the instance memory segments. It is used to run untrusted routines (functions and procedures) in processes separate from the instance process itself. If malicious or poorly written code is executed with the fenced user authority in its own process, it will not be able to corrupt the instance memory or mess with database files.
    ---
    "It does not work" is not a valid problem statement.

Normally you will not have to use the fenced id unless you write java or C stored procs or UDF's. All java SP's and UDF's are fenced, and C are optionally fenced (run outside the DB2 address space). SQL SP's and UDF's are always not fenced (run inside the DB2 address space). Not fenced has better performance.

Even though you my never use it, it is a good idea to make sure you have a separate id and group for the fenced user.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Thanks to both of you for this quick response.

One suggestion is to create a DB2 fenced user group at the DB2 server setup, and then as you create a fenced user for every DB2 instance , add the new user to the fenced group.
    ---------------------------------
    www.sqlserver-dba.com
    www.dba-db2.com

Quote Originally Posted by JackVamvas View Post
    One suggestion is to create a DB2 fenced user group at the DB2 server setup, and then as you create a fenced user for every DB2 instance , add the new user to the fenced group.
    I have always just set up one account and one group for each physical server, even though it has multiple instances. However, I have never had any developers create a java or C DB2 routine that was fenced.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390