Thread: Guidance Needed

Question Unanswered: Guidance Needed

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm hoping someone is able to offer some guidance, I'm not wanting to be spoon fed, but I am completely new to Access and I'm not even sure how to search for the help. I spent last night Googling different terms, but no results offered what I need.

Basically, I want to create a 'front end' to a large hard drive of files. I know I could add each file name and URL to a table manually, but I'm hoping there is some way for the DB to automatically 'scan' through the hard drive and list all files contained within.

The Structure of the Hard Drive is as follows:

Main Folder
    Sub Folder
    Sub sub folder
    Sub sub folder
    Sub sub folder
    Sub folder
    Sub sub folder
    Sub sub folder
    etc....

The hard drive has a total of around 10,000 files in various formats, Word Documents, Excel Spreadsheets, Video files and PDF's.

The reason I want the DB to automatically pick up files is that several people will be adding new files to the hard drive each day, and I dont want to have to enter each one into a table manually if there is a way to automate this.

Once this has been completed, I want the front end to contain a simple search box, where a user can type in keywords and be displayed with all relevant files.

I have searched this forum and found this thread but it went completely over my head. I'm wondering if anyone could recommend any sites/tutorials or books which would help break this down for an 'idiot'.

Last night I viewed several Lynda.com videos and skimmed through a book but these only really offer guides on how to create databases; by entering customer information manually.

I hope someone can help

Many thanks

Provided Answers: 59
    that post looks like it should get you in the right direction
    however unless someone happens top have a function ready proven out there I think you will have to dive in and do it yourself

however there are others ways of handling this
    expose a common file location (a network share) or similar. users post there files to there.
    periodically your application scans that location, and (Id' suggest probably moves files to a shadow location so that you dont' loose files/data as users modify old files or delete old files...
    or make that common file location write only so users cannot delete.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks for the reply healdem

If possible, can you provide some keywords of what I could search for to get me going? I have searched for "VBA Dir ()" but that brings up alot of information that goes instantly over my head.

Would you recommend just starting VBA from the beginning, or is it possible to dive straight in at the bit I need?

--------------

Sorry I forgot to add that I am Using the Microsoft Access 2013 package so the current tutorials I am finding are difficult to use for a newbie. Most are written using 2007/2010 versions and only include text directions. This is difficult for me as the 2013 package is more 'icon' based.
    Last edited by JohnoLFC; 11-19-13 at 08:58. Reason: 2013

Provided Answers: 59
    its hard to say

the other really, really kludgy way of dong this is to use vbscript, shell out to a dos window, run a dir command that pipes the output to a file, then read that file inside vba. of the two Id strongly recommend that you use the dir function

there is no easy way to do what you want, you are going tohave to dive in and do some VBA. as said before unless someone already has got this sort of function/code available you will have to do it yourself.

its not especially complicated VBA, there is nothing tricksy or devious so providing you ave the willingness to dive in and learn by doing I don't think this is beyond your ability.
    ion terms of development there is not a lot of differnece between each version of Access. sadly over the last 30 years more and more effort is put into prettifying applications, and less and less effort of making application more useful. developer confuse prettiness with usability. Access is a product that largely targets noobies who want something that looks pretty, and pretty soon. but Access is a chameleon, it can do pretty and it can do pretty useful, sometimes at the same time
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks again healdem!

I'll crack on with the VBA. I think my problem lies in getting the relationship of VBA, Databases and the front-end established in my head (Last question, can you recommend any good books, videos or sites to understand the overall relationship). I always seem to struggle with tying back-end coding with the front-end which users see. I guess the best to do is to read far and wide and I'm sure it will click.

Once/If I create the solution, I'll be sure to post back to show how I solved it as I'm sure it will be helpful to someone else in the future