Question I have a loop problem in my database design

Hello Everyone,

Attached photo, is just an initial draft of how will database look like.

I'm facing a loop between relationships and I'm not able to figure out how to get rid of it.

I'm currently developing an accounting application for my company, and here is a brief of the business requirements:

- First we have the companies table which lists all companies that are owned by my company

- For every company we have different types of operations or accounts. So it is a one to many relationship between table companies and tables operation types and account types

- We have a table listing all accounting operations in all companies. Each operation has one type. Which makes it a one to many relationship between operation types and operations. If I want to know this operation belongs to which company, then I have to check the type of operation and then I can get the company.

- We have a table listing all accounts in all companies. Each account has one account type. Which makes it a one to many relationship between account types and accounts. If I want to know this account belongs to which company, then I have to check the type of account and then I can get the company.

- My problem lies in this point, we have a table listing all operation lines. Each line is linked to an operation and an account at the same time (Loop occurring here). A line represents a debit or credit to a certain amount of money. An operation can be a collection of both debit and credit lines at the same time. Moreover, each line must be associated to a certain account

Thanks for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

You can create a schema like that, with referential integrity enforced, but you can't implement cascading updates along more than one path.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Hello Blindman,

Thanks for your reply.

Do you think that I can go ahead with this initial design?

So in this case, it is normal for a loop to occur.

Of course, I will be enforcing referential integrity and I won't be needing the cascade update option in the mean time.

Thanks again

Well, I can't tell you whether that design will satisfy your business requirements, or if it is the best design to use.
    I can only say that it can be implemented and used.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com