Unanswered: DB2 HADR Takeover

Hi all,
    i am using db2 v9.5 , fixpack 8 on AIX machine,

i need to perform following activity so please provide me proper procedure.

Step 1) i need takeover from primary to standby ( for failure checking)

Step 2 ) After applications are checked ( stanby as primary ) , i need to switch back i.,e original primary must be as primary & and standby as standby.

3) What is db2 takeover command will do ??

only standby server becomes primary or its a role change ??(i.e, primary becomes standby & standby becomes primary)

4) Is db2 v9.5 works on Virtual IP??

5)how to find whether SA MP licence is included in db2 9.5 fixpack 8
    Last edited by ravichandrapratap; 11-22-13 at 07:03.

Actually just finished setting this up for several systems. The systems I set up are 9.7 on AIX, should be the same (except maybe license on 9.5). Questions are answered below in order. These commands HADR, not HADR using Tivoli SA MP (which you might be using)

Before failing over check the status run "db2pd -db <dbname> -hadr" , make sure you are in peer status etc.

1. To failover manually, on standby run: db2 takeover hadr on db <dbname>
    after completes run db2pd -db <dbname> -hadr and check the status
    2. To fail back over, on the old primary run: db2 takeover hadr on db <dbname>

** Note these are graceful takeovers.
    3 Graceful takeover command (above) will switch the roles of the two systems (Primary becomes standby and Standby becomes Primary). In a real event (primary is down), you would run "db2 takeover hadr on db <dbname> force", this does not switch or even attempt to switch the role of the primary as it is assumed it is unavailable. Force can result in data loss.
    4. Not sure what you are referring to, we use PowerHA to failover the Virtual IP. Are you using Tivoli SA MP? I looked into that but decided to let the SA's handle the virtual IP switch and hardware detection.
    5. Check with your IBM rep on license.

There is a pretty good write up on setting DB2 HADR and Tivoli SA MP at the following link, it is for SAP but the DB2 parts are the same.

Enable database high availability using DB2 HADR and Tivoli SA MP in an SAP environment

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by azready View Post
    Actually just finished setting this up for several systems. The systems I set up are 9.7 on AIX, should be the same (except maybe license on 9.5). Questions are answered below in order. These commands HADR, not HADR using Tivoli SA MP (which you might be using)

Before failing over check the status run "db2pd -db <dbname> -hadr" , make sure you are in peer status etc.

1. To failover manually, on standby run: db2 takeover hadr on db <dbname>
    after completes run db2pd -db <dbname> -hadr and check the status
    2. To fail back over, on the old primary run: db2 takeover hadr on db <dbname>

** Note these are graceful takeovers.
    3 Graceful takeover command (above) will switch the roles of the two systems (Primary becomes standby and Standby becomes Primary). In a real event (primary is down), you would run "db2 takeover hadr on db <dbname> force", this does not switch or even attempt to switch the role of the primary as it is assumed it is unavailable. Force can result in data loss.
    4. Not sure what you are referring to, we use PowerHA to failover the Virtual IP. Are you using Tivoli SA MP? I looked into that but decided to let the SA's handle the virtual IP switch and hardware detection.
    5. Check with your IBM rep on license.

There is a pretty good write up on setting DB2 HADR and Tivoli SA MP at the following link, it is for SAP but the DB2 parts are the same.

Enable database high availability using DB2 HADR and Tivoli SA MP in an SAP environment

Good luck!
    Hi azready,
    Thanks for your reply , you mentioned that checking for PEER State,

actually i fotget to mention you , our mod is SUPERASYNC, i think peer state is not possible , can proceed with remote catchup state???

here takeover without force option means switching will heppen or not ???

I have not tested Superasync in our environment, we will be using it in the future for our offsite DR. These are actually a couple things I was planning on testing and verifying how they work. That being said, my understanding is when you do a force it does not change the status of the original primary.

Provided Answers: 11
    "how to find whether SA MP licence is included in db2 9.5 fixpack 8"
    license is never included in fixpack
    if db2 was installed in new directory, license is needed
    samlicm will give the details (as db2licm will do)
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Guy, I think the question on the license is, "Is the SA MP license included as part of the standard DB2 license or is it an add on feature that costs extra?" I know with SAP it is included with the OEM license, however, I am not sure if it is included with the standard license, may depend if you are running enterprise etc. I think this would depend upon the individual companies license agreement with IBM and he should contact his IBM rep. Any thoughts?

Provided Answers: 1
    In.. db2 9.5 ... except personal edition... all other editions have IBM Tivoli® System Automation for Multiplatforms (SA MP) included in them.. its not an add-on.. but i guess there is a separate license file for SA MP.... which can be downloaded from passport advantage (IBM).....

thanks

Surgeon