Unanswered: Normalization SQL

Hello there,

I am very new to database design and don't fully understand the process of normalization.

I am required to use the following functional dependencies to answer the questions:

Part 1.

CustNo -> CustBal, CustDiscount
    OrdNo -> CustNo, ShipAddr, OrderDate
    ItemNo -> ItemDesc
    ItemNo, PlantNo -> ReorderPoint, QtyOnHand
    OrderNo, ItemNo -> LineNo, QtyOrdered, QtyOutstanding
    OrderNo, LineNo -> ItemNo, QtyOrdered, QtyOutstanding

Questions:

a) Derive 2NF tables
    b) Using above answer, derive 3NF tables
    c) Using the above functional dependencies and first two answers derive BCNF tables.

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by elderown View Post
    I am required to use the following functional dependencies to answer the questions:
    That's a good plan, it is exactly what I'd do.

If you get stuck with specific questions, I'll be happy to help with them. I won't do your assignment for you.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

The only issue is that it isn't my assignment, I am helping a non-computing student who has taken an SQL module. I have never done anything like this with DB before, but am there last hope.

Provided Answers: 54
    Ok, I'll extend the same offer to you but I'd prefer to work directly with the person having the problem... If you do the assignment for the student, what they'll learn is to pass their work onto others instead of learning how to do that work themselves. This is a bad thing in my opinion.

Please work on the student's assignment, then show us what you've done so far and ask specific questions. At least that way you'll learn something about the assignment and might be able to answer the student's questions instead of simply passing messages back and forth between the student and us.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

I agree...May it favorably works for both of them..Normalization is a crucial topic..Would like to check how Google apps account recovery works?

Hi

I have this same assignment funnily enough.

I personaly don't where to start, normaly when doing this kind of exercise I'd match functional dependancies against the tables in 1NF but since I don't know how they where organised, I find I can't proceed.

I have a feeling that I'm missing the point.

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks
    Paledave

Oh it's okay, I think I got it, never mind.

Hi,
    This is an old thread, but I have the same assignment now. As far as I can understand these relations, I prepared the following tables.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	16634

They seem to be already in 2NF as there are no partial dependencies and also it would satisfy 3NF, as there are no Trans-dependencies, that I can see.
    I am not sure about BCNF. A relation is in Boyce-Codd Normal Form if and only if every determinant is a candidate key. As far as I can see, it is alright as well. Is there something I am missing?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks